Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Browning X Bolt in 300 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel. I am about to have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 24 inches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-CAL
    replied
    You could expect to lose around 50-75 FPS which would not matter to anything you would point the rifle at. I have a Remington 700 in a 7mag and it sports a 24 inch barrel. If a good gunsmith does the work you should have no problems with the accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• charlie elk
    replied
    My personal preference would be to buy another gun, normally cutting off a barrel devalues a gun. Besides who has ever figured out how many guns is too many?
    Check out any one of the fine scout rifles out this year. They have short barrels and shoot good. I've used a Ruger for years on hunts from WI to AK and love the compact performance.
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• JM
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• JM
    replied
    Shouldnt effect accuracy. Long barreled guns are often designed for hunting over a field or in a tree stand all day long. Personally I usually hunt with a Winchester '94 which is basically designed to be a brush gun(I also hunt with a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm mag and it is definetely harder to carry through the brush - I think it is also a 26" barrel but not sure). When slung over my shoulder the tip of the barrel on my '94 is lower that the top of my head which makes it very easy to avoid hitting in on branches.

Leave a comment:

• I have a Browning X Bolt in 300 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel. I am about to have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 24 inches.

I have a Browning X Bolt in 300 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel. I am about to have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 24 inches. I am prepared to give up a little velocity by way of shaving inches. I am doing this as I find the longer barrel pushes the balance of the rifle too far forward making it feel like the end of the barrels wants to drop. It requires additional effort on the fore end of the stock to maintain when shooting freehand.. Additionally, it sure hangs up on overhead branches and the like as I walk the bush with it slung over my shoulder. What do you think? Perhaps they had something very specific in mind at Browning in rigging this rifle with the long barrel??? I want it to point better and carry easier. Accuracy is exceptional now, what do think will result with the thing shortened and crowned with an inset??

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget