Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given the state of the economy and the lack of excess funds, I'd like your opinion on one rifle caliber that would be the most a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given the state of the economy and the lack of excess funds, I'd like your opinion on one rifle caliber that would be the most a

Given the state of the economy and the lack of excess funds, I'd like your opinion on one rifle caliber that would be the most adequate for North American game such as Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope and Caribou ? New York State just opened up some of its counties to rifle and I just retired and would like to purchase a rifle and I'm looking for the right one. Thanks from the fixed income hunting group.

Id say a .270 win is almost perfect for all of them.

Comment

I'm coming with a loud "amen" to Hunter4Life. It is flatter shooting than a .30-06 and can shoot a cartridge from 130 grain to 150 grain with MV up to 3000fps or more. I have killed deer and elk with my .270 and at distances longer than I could have with my .30-06. I can have a 6" point blank window out to 300 yds plus or minus, when I have it sighted in at 2.75" high at 100 yds. I don't have to change my scope settings just put my crosshairs where I want it and it will be no more than 3" above or below that spot. Gotta love it.

Comment

I agree with the 270 also! I have knocked down every whitetail I shot with my 270. It is not abusive and is really fun to shoot. I also like the 25-06. I shot two deer with this round this year. My does was at 100 yards and my buck was close to 300. The buck dropped in his tracks and the doe went about 35 yards. It shoots a lighter bullet, so it would be better for antelope. I believe it would be to small for caribou though. For my 270 the 130 grain worked the best and for the 25-06 a 115gr ballistic tip. For the money I would buy a New England 270. Not expense and very accurate. Never had any problems with them.

Comment

I agree with the .270. Its got enough powder behind it to take down everything on your list and its a light bullet then most big game rifles so it won't drop as much as the big guys. I personally own a Remington model 700 in .270 and love it. Great all around gun and caliber in my book.

Comment

If you are on a budget look at the Marlin XLJ, I got one for around $300 in 30-06. I would go with the 06, you have a good choice in bullet wieghts. You can go lighter for smaller game and go heavier for the bigger game.

Comment

rrmont is right on target / the venerable 30,06 is a proven caliber/ there's lots of them so finding a good used one presents no problems,270, and 25.06 would be an advantage at more distant targets but the 30.06 packs more punch at closer ranges and heavier bullets at 220, grains , wide selection of bullet types and weights .

Comment

the 30-06 is the way to go for elk or caribou & with diffrent grains the 125gr. will work for deer- & step it up to a 180gr. for elk or caribou

Comment

looks like everybody loves the .270 win. i do too i've never used another gun in my life and i think it is the best gun you can get at a good price.

Comment

You have several good choices to look at. I would ask which animals do you expect to hunt most? The .270 Win and .270 WSM are great but you have to be careful not to have too much distance for the caliber going after Caribou and heavier/larger game. Along with shot placement you want to make sure you have enough gun to drop the larger animal where it is so it doesn't run off suffering and you have to track it down.

Comment

Hi John. I am brand spanking new to this program so bare with me. I started hunting with .30-06 which I got overseas while in the service back in 1950. I'm now near 78 yeaars old.I shot 150gr handloads and winchester silvertips all those years and never had a lost deer and they were all dead kills. I think this is a fine all around rifle with the many different ammo opptions that there are today. I hunted originaly in Pennsylvania which is very much like New York. Must say there are a lot of good options out there today to make your head spin. Good Luck.

Comment

The .30-06 in a Savage package deal should fit your requirements/budget.
                        Good Luck and Good Hunting !

Comment

30-06 mossberg 100atr. it's a acurit rifle and costs about 425$

Comment

I have both a .270 and 30-06 and was invited to go on a hunt for Elk in the fall. I debated about using one of my current rifles or getting something like a .300 Win Mag. After looking at the ballistics and the maximum range I was comfortable shooing at I was fully convinced up to 350 yards the .270 with a 130 gr. bullet was as effective as the .300 Win. Mag. and it has a lot less drop than the 30-06. Plus the .270 Win is a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .30 cal big boys.

Comment

270 short mag or 7mm mag

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget