Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am getting back into hunting after 30 yrs absence due to a close call.I have my shotgun which I love and am now looking for a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am getting back into hunting after 30 yrs absence due to a close call.I have my shotgun which I love and am now looking for a

I am getting back into hunting after 30 yrs absence due to a close call.I have my shotgun which I love and am now looking for a rifle.I want the Remington 770 but have no idea what caliber to get.I have been told calibers from 243 to 7mm Mag to 300 Ultra Mag.and everything in between.What I want to know is which caliber is best suited for hunting Big Game,ie deer to elk and is also best suited for target shooting.I live in central North Carolina. What caliber would be best for all round shooting and still will take down elk if I got the chance to go out west for elk? What type bullet for a clean,quick kill? I am leaning toward the .270 caliber. Can you help me?? Wayne Buies, Aberdeen,NC

you should go with a 30-06, in a remmington model 700 if possible with a leupold scope, it will be more expensive but personaly i have a savage 110, i shoot 150 gr core lokt for deer but you should probly go up to 180 gr. for elk, the 270 might be fine for elk if you hit them right but the 30-06 is capable of taking down all north american big game...

Comment

.270 Win is fine. .30-06 is better. Might also consider the .308 Win. Lots of very good bullets, but I'd use a long heavy for caliber controlled expansion bullet for elk for penetration (no blow-em-up rounds). Just try to find one that shoots accurately out of your gun.

Comment

I'm all for the .270. It is flatter shooting than a .30-06 and can shoot a cartridge from 130 grain to 150 grain with MV up to 3000fps or more. I have killed deer and elk with my .270 and at distances longer than I could have with my .30-06. I don't need a rangefinder to figure out my drop. I can have a 6" point blank window out to 300 yds plus or minus, when I have it sighted in at 2.75" high at 100 yds. I don't have to change my scope settings, just put my crosshairs where I want it and it will be no more than 3" above or below that spot.
        I use Hornady 140 GR BTSP LIGHT MAGNUMs, MV is 3100 fps. I have never had anything run more than 60 yds and have had most of them "one shot drop right there."
        For elk I use Hornady's 150 gr SP and it has shown itself to be very effective. But I have to run different numbers for my 6" window. I don't have those handy right now.

Comment

I looked at the 770 and was not impressed at all by it, it seemed to me that it was a cheaply made gun. The bolt did not slide well at all, it grabbed alot when opening and closing.
          As far as caliber I would go with the 30-06, you have a variety of bullet wieghts to choose from and like Arron1991 said it will take down any N.A. game.

Comment

The 270 fits all your requirements. It can effectively take down your listed game. Bo was right on the money for rounds and the flat shooting that comes with the 270. Another plus side with the 270 is that it is not as abusive as the 30-06. Also since you live in NC you probably will be hunting whitetails more often and there is no better round to shoot deer with than the 130 gr 270. But it just comes down to what you feel fits you. What matters the most is if you can constantly hit what your aiming at. Both rounds have proven themselves on being effective in having clean kills on whitetail and elk. Good Luck

Comment

Thanks Nater7.Your answer was great,I had a Rem 30-06 when I lived in upstate NY and wasn't all that comfortable with it.I just purchased a HOWA 1500 in 270 cal yesterday and am excited to get to the range and start shooting it so I will be totally familiar with it for hunting this year.I was going to use 140 gr but will try your suggestion of 130 gr..Couldn't believe how nice this rifle is,comes with Nikko nighteater variable scope and rings. Nice package at under 500.00. If you have any more info or tips to share you can email me at [email protected] I am planning in the future to go to maybe Texas to hunt mule deer on a guided hunt. Once in a lifetime dream.

Comment

GO TO A PAWN SHOP AND GET YOU A GOOD USED REMMINGTON 700 OR SAVAGE IN 3006. WITH THE RIGHT AMMO 150 TO 180 GRAIN IT WILL TAKE DOWN ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SHOOT, IF YOU CAN HIT IT. AMMO IS EASY TO COME BY AT ANY WALMART. i FOUND A COLT LIGHT RIFLE FOR $400 SHOT THREE BUCKS WITH IT SO FAR. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                  by Ernie
                  I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                  hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                  10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X