Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i posted a question a while back about rifle choice and i mentioned that i was getting a 308. my dad has argued with me about a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i posted a question a while back about rifle choice and i mentioned that i was getting a 308. my dad has argued with me about a

i posted a question a while back about rifle choice and i mentioned that i was getting a 308. my dad has argued with me about a 30-06 over a 308 saying that every deer he ever shot with a 30-06 fell where it was. can i get some advice... 30-06 or 308?

Either will work, but like your dad said, the 30-06 definetely has more knock down power than the .308. Personally I like tracking the deer so dropping them right where they stand isnt a priority of mine =].

Comment

If you read the ballistic charts in a reloading manual the 308 is close to matching the 30-06 in velocity with lighter bullets, like 130gr-150gr. The 30-06 shines with 165gr bullets and heavier, both are great calibers for deer and much more. Remember shot placement has more to do with dropping game than the caliber you shoot. Both have stood the test of time and many of game have fallen to each, which ever you pick should work well.

Comment

Alright JM you funny guy- I like tracking deer too prior to the shot that is and when my 308 hits em they drop in their tracks. ;-D))
        later,
        charlie

Comment

My dad shoots a .308 and most of his deer have dropped where they stood, my brother shot a deer with a 12 ga. slug at 30 yards and blew the heart into two pieces and it still ran close to 100 yards. The last deer I shot with a .270 dropped where it stood. You can't go wrong with either caliber in my opinion, but just because someone has dropped a deer without it running doesn't mean much for the gun. I've heard of deer shot out to 100 yards dropping and deer shot at closer ranges running with great shot placement. 90% of the time in the right spot they won't move after the shot but that isn't always the case. What is more paramount is getting a caliber suitable for your needs.

Comment

One will do just as well as the other as long as you hit the deer in the right place. Yoda made a good point---many deer will still run, even when hit just right in the heart/lungs, while others will drop from the same shot and it doesn't matter what you're shooting. The only way to be sure to drop one every time is to make a shot that involves the nervous system, such as a high shoulder shot that takes the shoulder blades and spine. I've made shots on deer that broke both shoulders and hit the heart and still had them struggle off a short distance. I'd pick the caliber you like best.

Comment

Only had one deer move after a shot with the .308. he was on the edge of a ravine and went down over the side.

Comment

I personally would go with the 30-06,but they're both great guns.

Comment

Any caliber with the same weight bullet and same velocity has the same energy in foot pounds. A pound is a pound whether it is a pound of feathers or a pound of lead. Look at the ballistic tables in a reloading manual.

YoungBuck843, you can tell your dad that the .308 and .30-06 both use a .30 caliber bullet. When fired from a rifle in the same bullet weight and same velocity they have the same amount of energy in foot pounds. What matters is energy in foot pounds and shot placement when killing an animal.

Comment

Either round will work great on deer. I have shot them both, and hunted with many people who have used both rounds with success. I would say the main benefit of the 30.06 over the .308 in your situation is that if you and your dad use the same round you can use eachothers shells if you need to.

Comment

You hit it right, and either one will do the job. but if you hit a deer in the leg or just graze it, its not going to work so great. its about shot placement...

Comment

The .308 is only about 100-200 FPS slower than the 30-06 with the same bullet, you will never be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Good comments here! Either will work just fine and as some have said dropping them on the spot really isn't a quantifiable characteristic.

Comment

The only advantage I see in the .06 is the wide selection of bullet weights it has to offer,and a bit more common to borrow in the field if you been missing.As far as effectiveness for quick kills both calibers are more than adequate on deer.I'm a .06 man myself but well aware of the .308

Comment

Both will put a deer down if you get the bullet in the right spot. I prefer the 30-06 as ammo is easier to find and there is a wider range of bullets available.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X