Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When shooting from an enlosed blind with the barrel equal distance through the opening,which has higher decibels, a semi-automat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When shooting from an enlosed blind with the barrel equal distance through the opening,which has higher decibels, a semi-automat

When shooting from an enlosed blind with the barrel equal distance through the opening,which has higher decibels, a semi-automatic rifle or a bolt-action rifle. All other factors equal.

The action of the rifle isn't going to dictate or be a factor with the number of decibels inside of the enclosed blind. What is going to be a factor is the caliber of bullet being fired, as well as the load contained within the bullet (how many grains?)

Ex: A .30-30 cartidge fired from a bolt-action rifle isn't going to necessarily be significantly more or less loud than if that same cartridge were fired from a semi-auto or single shot rifle.

The overall construction of the rifle and barrel itself may be a factor in determining if the shot being fired has more or less volume, but again, I don't believe the action of the rifle is going to be a determining factor in that measurement.

Comment

All other factors being equal, I would assume that if you are using a gas operated semi auto, the decibals would be lower if only by a very small fraction due to the diversion of some gas from the muzzle to the gas tube. Where as the bolt action will force all the gas out the end of the barrel, but then you have to consider if a muzzle brake is being used the shape of the muzzle brake may direct the gases to the sides,which will increase the decibal level for the shooter.

Comment

I concur with what 23 says... but without the use of an SPL meter in the enclosed blind, as he has mentioned as well, I really doubt it would be anything significant or even noticeable.

I would take a guess that the construction and overall quality of the firearm that the cartidge is being fired from would be a more significant factor as far as decibel leve is concerned rather than the action of the firearm. My two pennies.

Comment

Just how much ammo are you planning on blasting out of that hunting blind? I would venture that any difference in report would be relatively insignificant. So, unless you foresee multiplying that small margin by full ammo clips I don't imagine your hearing will suffer any consequences.
          Don't get me wrong, I have been known to empty the rifle before the game is on the ground and not had a clue as to how many rounds have been fired. That is fine by me. I just don't think you should be worrying about something so small when it could take your focus off the task at hand. I would rather face some ringing in my ears than risk MISSING because my attention was elsewhere.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
            by fitch270
            Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
            09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
          • Grips and stocks
            by dewman
            so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
            09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
          • Youth pheasant hike
            by fitch270
            Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
            09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
          • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
            by fitch270
            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
            09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
          • Unusual Sound
            by jhjimbo
            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
            09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X