Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have discussed cleaning techniques here about barrel break-in, how often to clean bores, and storage. I have a couple of ques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have discussed cleaning techniques here about barrel break-in, how often to clean bores, and storage. I have a couple of ques

We have discussed cleaning techniques here about barrel break-in, how often to clean bores, and storage. I have a couple of questions: What brand names do you use for cleaning gear in regards to cleaning rods, brushes, solvents, oils, patches, etc.? Have you had a good result or not with your present and/or past cleaning tools?

My cleaning kit is a collection of bits and pieces accumulated over the years, generally from whatever was on sale at the time. I prefer Hoppes #9 and RemOil. I also use a BoreSnake in between thorough cleanings. My rifles shoot accurately, even the forty-two year-old Rem. 700 7mm mag., and my shotguns shoot like they are supposed to and none of my guns jam, so I guess my cleaning outfit is all right.

Comment

Thanks Pineywoods for answering my question.
      I use a Dewey cleaning rod with their brushes and jags. When I first started cleaning guns years ago all there was that I knew of was HOPPE'S three section aluminum rods. I will never go back to the three section rod again unless of an emergency or traveling where a one piece rod would be cumbersome to travel with. A coated one section cleaning rod with ball bearings in the handle makes a big difference, like the Dewey cleaning rod.
      For patches I like Butch's Triple Twill.
      HOPPE'S #9 solvent and oil, RemOil, Kroil, and Montana X-treme Copper Killer I use for cleaning and lubrication.
      Pineywoods, it looks like just you and I are the only ones that clean our firearm... just joking folks; I was hoping on more responses to my question. I think we all could of benefited with more than two answers to this question.

Comment

I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. JB bore bright for the break in on hard to clean new rifles. A coated one piece rod and I'm not sure what kind of patches I have but they are cotton. Also RemOil for the lube. I really don't use brushes to much after switching to the Gunslick unless the rifle is fouled bad. My last 2 new rifles are both stainless and I had a hard time with copper fouling after just a few shots then my gunsmith told me about the JB bore bright for the break in and it worked well. Any of you had this problem? If so what did you use or do to solve it? I was told that stainless is harder a not as easy to cut the rifling, so this can leave imperfections in the bore and the JB helps smooth them out.

Comment

Thanks for your input 25-06 guy.
          I just bought a new rifle that was on clearance. The bore looked gray looking from the breech and muzzle, no shine at all; but I bought it anyway... couldn't beat the price.
          To clean the bore I first did an overnight soak with Kroil just using a patch. The next day I patched and brushed the bore using Montana X-treme Copper Killer, it took out the (factory testing) copper fouling first time around. Another overnight with Kroil. Next day repeated the Montana X-treme Copper Killer just for good measure. Another overnight with Kroil. The third day I used the Montana X-treme Copper Killer followed with HOPPE'S #9 solvent and oil. I brushed and used patches in all the cleanings, except for the Kroil soak I used just a patch,. The bore is shiny now, real shiny. I can see the rifling plain as day where before I couldn't make out the rifling that well.
          I probably could have gotten away with cleaning the bore in one day's time, but I wasn't in any hurry and thought the three day cleaning process would be better.
          The Montana X-treme Copper Killer took the copper fouling out quite well. Maybe you > 25-06 guy < will get the same results, as I did, getting the copper fouling out of your stainless barrels.
          25-06 guy.... Do you handload? There is Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System. They're bullets you handload that have an abrasive coating that goes from a coarse to fine grit. You fire them through your barrel, cleaning in between grits, and they are supposed to smooth out any tooling marks/ bore imperfections in the barrel......kind of like hand lapping a barrel.
          Caution on the Montana X-treme Copper Killer.... the vapors are VERY strong. Use in well ventilated area.

Comment

johnnie,I do hand load and thanks for the tips. The gunslick works great for me and the JB bore bright also does good. After a few cleanings with the bore bright neither rifle copper fouls as bad. Good shooting.

Comment

25-06 guy.... Your welcome for the tips and thanks for your tips and input. I'll be putting some Gunslick and JB Bore Bright on my next shopping list. Looking forward to using them. Good shooting to you too!!!

Comment

25-06 guy..... I should have mentioned that I handload too. Been doing it for 15 years or so.

Comment

I have been hand loading for about 10yrs, it is a great hobby. Its like dropping a cam in a small block.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Now That's Service
                    by jhjimbo
                    Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                    Today, 07:57 PM
                  • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                    by fitch270
                    ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                    Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  • Covid-19
                    by jhjimbo
                    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                  • Spur of the moment rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                  • The $20 Shooting Shack
                    by fitch270
                    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X