Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will the leupold vx II hold up to 300 rem ultra mag? It has leupold mounts and rings to. The real ? is how will the friction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will the leupold vx II hold up to 300 rem ultra mag? It has leupold mounts and rings to. The real ? is how will the friction

How will the leupold vx II hold up to 300 rem ultra mag? It has leupold mounts and rings to. The real ? is how will the friction plates hold up, it is an older leupold with the friction plates instead of the clicking plates. so far I have not had a problem with it staying sighted in. But I have probably only put 40 rounds through it so far. what do you guys think, am I asking for trouble keeping this scope on with that much recoil?

I don't know about the .300 mag. but I do know that the old Leupold scopes with the friction adjustments used to drive me crazy---I never could seem to get any consistency with the adjustments. Once in place, the scope held zero real well, but getting it there was a chore. The heaviest rifle I used with that scope was a 7mm Rem Mag and the zero stayed fine.

Comment

I agree with Piney, it should hold zero just fine.

Comment

Part of the answer depends on the model of the rifle. Generally speaking, the heavier the gun, the better it absorbs the recoil. The VX-II is light enough that it shouldn't stress the mounts or the plates, as long as the rifle is reasonably stout. It's when you start putting heavier optics on a lightweight, hard-recoiling rifle that you run into the most trouble.

Andrew McKean
        Hunting Editor

Comment

thanks. ya it is a chore getting it sighted in thats where i used the 40 rounds lol. i have had it two years and shot two deer with it.

Comment

Its the Remington model 700 bdl custom. I believe that is a stout rifle lol. So really I shouldnt have too much of a problem. I'll just have to keep checking it as usual through out the season.
            thanks guys

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget