Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a 6 foot 180lb. 13yr. old boy and I am purchasing my first rifle... What would be the best kind of brand and caliber for m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a 6 foot 180lb. 13yr. old boy and I am purchasing my first rifle... What would be the best kind of brand and caliber for m

I am a 6 foot 180lb. 13yr. old boy and I am purchasing my first rifle... What would be the best kind of brand and caliber for me to purchase?

What will you be hunting? How much recoil can you handle? In my opinion, size has almost nothing to do with how you handle recoil. With a little more information, you will get a lot better advice.

Comment

Well said, Mesarich.

Comment

Also, How much do you want to spend? The caliber that probably comes closest to doing it all is the .30-06, but it isn't my favorite round. Unless you are seriously planning on hunting elk and moose, I'd go with a .270, 7mm-08 or .25-06 for great performance and less recoil. (I'm primarily thinking of these for a deer rifle.) I like Savage rifles for value and accuracy and Remington is right there in the ball park.
        As mesarich said, give us a little more info.

Comment

I like a light kicking rifle for a starter rifle. Savage's 25-06 are affordable and accurate out of the box. I started with 270's 44 yrs ago. The recoil didn't really bother me but I think I'd enjoy shooting the 25-06 more often at that age. Remington and Winchester are also great rifles I have 2 of each and my Savage shoots just as good or better than the rest.

Comment

I don't care about recoil. $400 or less. Deer and coyote now, elk, moose, and antelope later.

Comment

I would go with a .308 or a .243. Dont let anyone give you any crap about shooting a deer with a 243, you will be suprized when you see the holes.

Comment

Really?? I was thinking of buying my uncles .243 savage from him
                But .243 don't have ALOT of energy in LB. And low grains but idk tank you all this helps ALOT tell all your friends to post their opinion please

Comment

The best advice that I can give is shoot as many different rifles as you can. Shape and length of the stock and the weight of the rifle are all factors to consider. Light weight rifles while wonderful to carry are usually a real bear to sight in. However I promise that you won't feel a thing when you pull the trigger on a deer or elk or .....
                  My rifle is a Savage 116 FCSS in 30-06 and is very pleasant to shoot. Some folks think that an -06 may not be your best bet for whitetails and is really rough on coyotes but is a favorite for elk and has a great potential especially if you start handloading and is available just about anywhere in the world . It has been used to shoot everything on the planet for over 100 years. Decide what you want to hunt and choose accordingly.

Comment

30-06. I got a Savage Edge in 30-06..it's a beginners rifle, but comes with a scope(most of the time) and as you get more experienced you can upgrade. It also comes with a 4 round magazine. nice gun for the money.....also look at the marlin Xl-7..it's similar to the edge

Comment

Yah I'm most likely getting a savage axis( edge ) but idk what caliber. Either .30-06, .308, or 7mm. When I go turkey hunting in a week or two we are setting up a thing so I can shoot many different caliber rifles!

Comment

I'd save just a bit more and get the Savage FNCS 111 if posible. I found my 111 for 300.00, these come with the accustock and accutrigger. I added 150.00 more for a bushnell Elite 3200. All were bought at Academy Sports. I think anywhere else and this would of been around 700 or better, rather than the 450 I paid.

Comment

a savage axis[edge] in either 270 or 30-06 depending onwhat u r hunting at at what range your shooting

Comment

Deer, coyote, bobcat, fox, and later elk and antelope. No more the 200 yards now.

Comment

Start with what game you are going to hunt the most and then match the caliber with that. I have Remingtons, savage, weatherby and other rifles, and they all shoot good. If its deer you are after you can't beat a 30-06 or a 308 or a 25-05 the pick is yours, buy a realoading manual and read up there is a wealth of info in those books even if you don't reload.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X