Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a 6yr old boy who in the last 6 months has been target shooting with a BB gun. He is right handed in all his daily activ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a 6yr old boy who in the last 6 months has been target shooting with a BB gun. He is right handed in all his daily activ

I have a 6yr old boy who in the last 6 months has been target shooting with a BB gun. He is right handed in all his daily activities. I discovered with him that he is LEFT eye dominant. I have him wearing a patch over his left eye and it has made a huge difference in his shooting. At his early age I am unsure of what to do. I dont want him to have to wear a patch to go hunting his whole life. Do I have him start shooting left handed while he is still learning? What are my options?

Forget the eye patch—if your son is left-eyed dominant you absolutely want to teach him to shoot left handed.

Think about it this way: Shooting "lefty" means that your son's dominant (right) hand is going to be the lead hand on his rifle or shotgun. That's the hand that really does the work when aiming at a bull or tracking a clay in flight. It's actually preferable.

If it makes you feel any better, my 7-year-old son, who is a competitive BB gun shooter, is in the same boat, as am I for that matter. We're both cross-eye dominant and shooting with the opposite hand doesn't hold either of us back a bit.

There's no downside to switching him up, especially at this age. Just start saving for that left-handed bolt gun now.

Comment

Ditto to what John said. I'm left-eye dominant (don't ask which hand I use in daily life; it depends upon the task) but shoot right handed. Switch him up now while he's young and the muscle memory doesn't have to be relearned.

Comment

Get him shooting left handed now for all the reasons listed in Brian and John's posts. In the long run you and he will be glad you did.
        My daughter shoots left handed there is no shame in it.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

let him shoot right and left, then see what arm/eye he is comfortable with. I practice with both arms and have since I can remember. If I injure one arm the other is ready to take over.

Comment

Thanks for all of your input. That pretty much solves the questions I had. I will take and get him familiarized with the switch.

Comment

the only thing wrong with left handed shooting is that the guns cost about 200$ or more than a right handed gun but i'm left handed and shoot right handed guns it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                by Scott123
                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                Yesterday, 11:23 PM
              • Blade Stain
                by jhjimbo
                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                Yesterday, 11:40 AM
              • Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X