Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a formula to calculate the area that the bead on a rifle sight covers at a given range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a formula to calculate the area that the bead on a rifle sight covers at a given range?

Is there a formula to calculate the area that the bead on a rifle sight covers at a given range?

It will be different depending on who is holding the gun. You have a fixed size object that will be at different length depending on how you hold the gun. Different people will hold the gun differently and maybe a little further forward or back.
    For example, if you hold you hand at arms length and use your thumb to blot out, say a car. If you move your hand closer to you, you may blot out 2-3 cars. There is no way to predict how much it will cover without very precise measurements as to how you hold the gun and if you hold it exactly the same every time.
    That being said, many red dot sights are 4 MOA (minute of angle). (A minute of angle is 1" at 100yds. Some people try to dispute this and say that is not exact, demonstrating a very discouraging lack of geometric education. If you have a equilateral triangle of 100 yds on all sides, there are 3600 inches on each side of that triangle. An equilateral triangle has each corner set at 60 degrees.3600 divided by the 60 degrees brings it down to 60 inches in one degree at 100 yards. There are 60 minutes in one degree. 60 inches divided by 60 minutes are exactly one minute of angle at 100 yds)Sorry for the digression, but that is a pet peeve of mine.
    A red dot sight with a 4 MOA dot will cover a 4"circle at 100 yds, 8" at 200, etc. It doesn't sound like a lot until you figure, with a decent gun and scope you have a lot better for marksmanship score than 4" margin of error. I have a rifle that I have put 3 rounds, covered with a nickel, no hole showing at 100 yds.
    If you have a large bead sight at the muzzle it will make it harder to get good, tight groups, but the smaller it is the easier it can be damaged. If it gets knocked off or bent, it is worthless. and so is your gun until you can get a scope on it.

Comment

To be quiet honest with you , i never was very good with math,but shooting at targets the front bead is set between the rear sight wedge and this sight picture is held on the target ,sometimes too much thinking and not enough time at the range leaves one too wonder.

Comment

If I remember my trig/radial geometry correctly, one minute of angle at 100yds is about 1.05" - you're looking at the tangent as it appears flat on the target surface, outside edge of the circle, at 100 yards. (Tangent of 1 degree = 0.0175, b = 3,600 inches, one minute is 1/60th of a degree.).

And, yes, there is a way to estimate the area blotted out. It will only be close. Measure the width of the front bead. Use a caliper if you have one. Use inches to as close a decimal value as you can. If you use fractions convert to decimals. This is value a.

Then have someone measure from your eyeball to the bead (inches, again). This is value b. For the math majors we are assuming a very small right angle for practicality.

Divide the bead width (a) by the distance from eye to bead (b). That gives you the value for what is called Tan A (tangent A in Trig).

For whatever distance you want to figure out how much is blocked, multiply that distance, in inches, by Tan A.

For example, if the bead is 1/8 inch wide (0.125 inches), and the distance to your eye is 30 inches, then the value of Tan A is 0.00417 (0.125 / 30 = 0.00417). For a distance of 50 yards (50 yards x 36 inches/yard = 1,800 inches), the bead would block out about 7.5 inches (1,800 x 0.00417).

Someone want to double check my trig. It's been awhile.

More practical is doing this backward from a target to figure out how far to drift a front site and to raise or lower it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
          by jhjimbo
          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
          Yesterday, 02:15 PM
        • Pay it forward
          by fitch270
          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
        • Reloading Gear Order
          by fitch270
          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
          by dewman
          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
          by Ernie
          Any handgun hunters here?
          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X