Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am 16 years old, but have always been into firearms, and now more than ever. One of my favorite things is cleaning/maintaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 16 years old, but have always been into firearms, and now more than ever. One of my favorite things is cleaning/maintaining

I am 16 years old, but have always been into firearms, and now more than ever. One of my favorite things is cleaning/maintaining them. I am always toying with ideas, and recently I began to think that cotton swabs (like Q-Tips)would work very well for cleaning those tricky areas of a firearm. They may also be useful for dipping in cleaning oils and solutions to easily coat these areas. Am I correct or should I avoid this practice?

Nick, I use them all the time, especially on M4s and other firearms with small crevices that need attention. Good idea. Go with it.

Comment

I will chime in here to agree with the Captain; it seems to me that back in my military excursions that Q-tips were an invaluable piece of equipment to clean the weapons that we had. I used 'em on my 1911, and just about everyone that I knew that carried an M-16 used them too. As the Captains said "Go with it."

Comment

I usethem a lot myself. They are particularly useful with my T/C Hawken. Lots of nooks and crannies to get into.

Comment

I would also have to agree. I use them on my T/C Hawken to clean the gun and wipe wet powder from the pan in field. I also use them to oil the space between the bottom of my rifle scope and the barrel.

Comment

NickT..... you are on the right track and you are correct about using cotton swabs (Q-Tips) for cleaning. Cleaning and maintaining firearms is part of owning firearms and I'm glad you enjoy the task of cleaning and maintaining firearms. I find cleaning and maintaining firearms as relaxing as shooting and reloading. Buy yourself a quality cleaning rod such as a Dewey, you will be glad you did.
            You might not be thinking of it now, but your efforts of cleaning and maintaining your firearms will pay off. Not only years of enjoyment from them, but who knows maybe someday you will hand down one of your firearms to a grandchild that just turned 16 years old.
            While you are toying with ideas let us know if you come up with any goods ones that you can share with us.
            Happy Shooting!

Comment

I would also recommend investing in a bore snake if you have not already. Just be sure to pull towards the end of the barrel to avoid pulling all of the powder residue into the main action and trigger assembly.

Comment

I will declare myself a student to this 16 year old.s lessons on cleaning firearms. Bo and The Captain would have me on report for neglecting my duties in this respect. I seize the leisure time to fire my rifles at the range but generally find reasons or excuses for going on to other things at day's end. When I do feel guilty enough I launch a mass cleaning with firearms scattered over benches and leaning against chairs as they await their turn. Long sessions have the aroma of Hoppes solvent rising from the basement thru the upper floors of our home. Those tend to me days of therapy for me as I do get focused and enjoy the task. Thanks for the wake up call kid.
                Kody

Comment

Pipe cleaners are also a great tool. They can reach areas cotton swabs miss and don't have fibers that pull off and remain in the gun.

Comment

I use them, but only the ones that have a paper stick. I found the ones that use the plastic tend to have the cotton part come off the stick due to solvent dissolving the glue.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun cleaning patch tip
                      by fitch270
                      So I’m reorganizing the gun bench and notice the mock turtleneck shirt I’ve kept around for cutting into cleaning patches. Good 100% cotton fabric...
                      Today, 03:36 PM
                    • 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                      by Ernie
                      Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                    • Outdoor Life archives
                      by Scott123
                      Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                      10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                    • Blade Stain
                      by jhjimbo
                      Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                      10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                    • Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      10-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X