Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been researching and wanting to get a nice varmint gun for woodchucks, coyotes, raccoons, etc.. Im only 17 so I can't go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been researching and wanting to get a nice varmint gun for woodchucks, coyotes, raccoons, etc.. Im only 17 so I can't go

I have been researching and wanting to get a nice varmint gun for woodchucks, coyotes, raccoons, etc.. Im only 17 so I can't go break the bank and get a .204 or. 22-250, but what I've been looking at is either the. 17HMR or the. 22 WMR. I know that the .17 shoots flatter and the .22Wmr has more stopping power, but can they both be used on the animals I listed? I've heard that the .17 doesnt have the power to kill a woodchuck or coyote passed 100-150 yards. So if anyone could give me some personal experience advise I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

If you’re serious about getting the most proverbial bang for your buck without costing an arming and a leg you want a .223. The .17 and .22 mag are expensive to shoot considering what you get in the way of performance. The .204 is OK but, at least to me, too specialized as a prairie dog and smaller rodent caliber; not really a true coyote round. The .22-250 is fantastic and a real open prairie dominator but it’s a little more than you need, and the ammunition is more expensive. Notice I didn’t say you don’t want a .22-250 I’m just saying that for the game you mentioned it’s a little hotter than you need. If you factor in the cost of each round relative to what you get in performance, you want a .223. If you don’t have a problem shooting FMJ ammo, and it’s legal for the game you are targeting, it’s pretty cheap as far as modern ammo prices go. As much as I want to keep writing about the merits of the Remington Model 700 over any and all competitors arms I’ll stay out of it unless you ask. Enjoy your new rifle regardless of caliber!

Comment

id get a 223 as well, you can buy bulk ammo for cheap if your okay with fmj like RM said. cheap guns can be bought to like the savage edge and other such base line rifles.

Comment

Of the two I'd go with the 22 WMR. If you can afford it I would also look at he 223. I am not impresed with with the 17's and the 204.

Comment

I agree with the .223 recommendation if you can acquire a used rifle in that caliber in your price range.The 22 magnum gives diminished performance but you could probably acquire a new one let alone a used rifle in this caliber cheaper than the .223. You will have to sort out that for yourself. Buy a bolt action in either case not a semi automatic. Having a big clip and semi auto capabilities with young shooters is a recipe for blasting lots of ammo without becoming a better rifleman. I find it far more satisfying to hit that distant gopher on the first shot, not the tenth.

Comment

I agree with the .223 recommendation if you can acquire a used rifle in that caliber in your price range.The 22 magnum gives diminished performance but you could probably acquire a new one let alone a used rifle in this caliber cheaper than the .223. You will have to sort out that for yourself. Buy a bolt action in either case not a semi automatic. Having a big clip and semi auto capabilities with young shooters is a recipe for blasting lots of ammo without becoming a better rifleman. I find it far more satisfying to hit that distant gopher on the first shot, not the tenth.

Comment

Sorry about the double post... some message about spam came up and I was asked to confirm my post ... not sure why but I am pleased to see any efforts to whack those fools who do post that crap.

Comment

I have used a 22 magnum of and on since I was a kid (many years) and with Winchester Super X Hollow Points it will reliably kill woodchucks out to about 130 yards. I would however limit any shots on coyotes to 100 yards or less and then only head shots. 22 mags are not expensive to shoot about $11.00 for 50 rounds which is aprox. one third the price of good .223 ammunition.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X