Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am dreaming about an African hunt for the big plains antelope. I will be using the Model 70 Winchester in 300 Win Mag. I hav

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am dreaming about an African hunt for the big plains antelope. I will be using the Model 70 Winchester in 300 Win Mag. I hav

    I am dreaming about an African hunt for the big plains antelope. I will be using the Model 70 Winchester in 300 Win Mag. I have owned this gun since I was a teenager and I have experimented with a number of different bullets and loads over the last 40 plus years. The rifle loves a diet of 180 Speer Spitzer bullets with a fairly heavy load of IMR 4350. The African game require some special medicine and I believe the Swift A Frame in 180 gr is just the remedy. My question for all you reloading experts is... will the Swift bullet show signs of higher pressure than the Speer when using the same powder charge? Anybody out there had experience reloading these Swift bullets?

  • #2
    Kody, I have no idea which bullet would perform better... but I am with you in dreaming of Africa. I have always wanted to hunt on that continent. My dream hunt is cape buffalo, but I don't see that onen happening anytime soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have't used Swift A Frame bullets. Some published data shows 61,000 psi for the speer bullet with 71 gr of IMR 4350, this is usually a safe load. I would drop a few grains off your current load and gradually work up to your current load while carefully checking for pressure signs. Every gun is different and one should not assume that bullet powder combinations from one rifle to the next.
      Good luck to you and I hope to enjoy such a trip shortly.

      Comment


      • #4
        PAShooter, That is my load for the Speer bullet. I have a system for working up loads. I enjoy this process but find it frustrating to come up with a hot load leaving me with four more that I am unwilling to fire. So, using a Lee portable hand loader I put a sizing die set to seat that bullet 10/1000 off the rifling. I take a single bullet loaded to 69 gr along with primed cases, powder and scale, the hand loader and my bullets. If the 69 gr load shows no signs of pressure I load another round on the spot using 70 gr. and so forth. Any signs of pressure and I back off 1/2 gr and call it my ceiling for powder charge. Measuring and seating at the range saves the extra drives to and from. With this established load I fire three shot groups to check on accuracy. If the rounds are all over the target, I may back off another 1/2 gr and try again. If these powder variations do not have the desired effect I return to the ceiling load and experiment with varying the seating depth...give or take 5/1000. These are pretty expensive target loads so I would like to find the right load sooner rather than later. Otherwise, I will start counting pennies at every pull of the trigger. Regardless, I will not settle for less than an accurate load so I will get it right.
        Captain, I am having daydreams about kudu, sables and the like...I'm not sure that a Cape Buffalo fits into my wife's decorating style but a kudu and a few of his friends would fit in nicely. Yes, I will also take the .375 along as it would seem a crime not to give it a firing in Africa at least once. My old .300 Win gets the nod for most of the shooting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Kody, sounds like you have a pretty good system to develop your loads. Good luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by the captain View Post
            Kody, I have no idea which bullet would perform better... but I am with you in dreaming of Africa. I have always wanted to hunt on that continent. My dream hunt is cape buffalo, but I don't see that onen happening anytime soon.
            My brother used a .375 H&H on his first buffalo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PAShooter View Post
              I have't used Swift A Frame bullets. Some published data shows 61,000 psi for the speer bullet with 71 gr of IMR 4350, this is usually a safe load. I would drop a few grains off your current load and gradually work up to your current load while carefully checking for pressure signs. Every gun is different and one should not assume that bullet powder combinations from one rifle to the next.
              Good luck to you and I hope to enjoy such a trip shortly.
              Where did you get the data?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kody View Post
                PAShooter, That is my load for the Speer bullet. I have a system for working up loads. I enjoy this process but find it frustrating to come up with a hot load leaving me with four more that I am unwilling to fire. So, using a Lee portable hand loader I put a sizing die set to seat that bullet 10/1000 off the rifling. I take a single bullet loaded to 69 gr along with primed cases, powder and scale, the hand loader and my bullets. If the 69 gr load shows no signs of pressure I load another round on the spot using 70 gr. and so forth. Any signs of pressure and I back off 1/2 gr and call it my ceiling for powder charge. Measuring and seating at the range saves the extra drives to and from. With this established load I fire three shot groups to check on accuracy. If the rounds are all over the target, I may back off another 1/2 gr and try again. If these powder variations do not have the desired effect I return to the ceiling load and experiment with varying the seating depth...give or take 5/1000. These are pretty expensive target loads so I would like to find the right load sooner rather than later. Otherwise, I will start counting pennies at every pull of the trigger. Regardless, I will not settle for less than an accurate load so I will get it right.
                Captain, I am having daydreams about kudu, sables and the like...I'm not sure that a Cape Buffalo fits into my wife's decorating style but a kudu and a few of his friends would fit in nicely. Yes, I will also take the .375 along as it would seem a crime not to give it a firing in Africa at least once. My old .300 Win gets the nod for most of the shooting.
                Sounds like a great method. However, pulling loaded bullets is not hard.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PAShooter View Post
                  Kody, sounds like you have a pretty good system to develop your loads. Good luck!
                  Indeed it does!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So, how did it turn out? Did you go? How was the performance of the .300 Win Mag and what load did you settle on?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      So, how did it turn out? Did you go? How was the performance of the .300 Win Mag and what load did you settle on?
                      Fortunately, there's lots of load data and experience for the .300 Win Mag

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X