Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody told me that a 30-06 can shoot accurately and have more knock down power than a savage .270 but I dont know, what do ya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody told me that a 30-06 can shoot accurately and have more knock down power than a savage .270 but I dont know, what do ya

Somebody told me that a 30-06 can shoot accurately and have more knock down power than a savage .270 but I dont know, what do yall think?

accuracy is debatable,but the 06 definately has more thump than the .270

Comment

bigjake has it correct.

Comment

Accuracy is mostly dependent upon the individual rifle and the barrel on that rifle, when you compare the .270 and the .30-06. I have a Remington 721 in .270. I have put three rounds inside a circle smaller than a nickle at 100 yards, no hole touching outside that circle. That is less than a minute of angle. It is difficult to ask any more of any stock rifle off the shelf. Do all rifles do this? Not even close... I got lucky with this rifle. Some will shoot better, most will not.
        As far as thump, any time you are shooting, odds are the heavier bullet will have more thump... but not necessarily the range or the speed. There are trade offs with every rifle. The very fast, flat shooting rounds will most likely weigh less and have less "thump" at the closer ranges, where the heavier slow moving rounds may lose their energy at the extremes of its range and limit you there.
        Both rifles are great if used according to their capabilities and the shooter does not expect it to perform outside of those parameters.

Comment

Just to add a little on to Bo's comments. There are alot of variables involved with the questions you ask. Some rifles shoot a certain load more accurately than others. Bullet weight comes into this equation as well as does the ballistic coefficient. Then you have factory ammo versus reloads. A light bullet may start out significantly faster than a heavier bullet but will not retain its velocity as well. Bottom line there probably isn't a concrete answer for you but as Bo said the 270 and the 30-06 are both classics.

Comment

What you said, Bo. Also, my .270 kicks me less than the .30-06 I used to have, and that makes me shoot better, thus making cleaner kills. For me, that makes the .270 the superior cartridge for deer.

Comment

The short answer to your question is that what you heard is true.

Comment

just from what bo was saying i have a comment lighter bullets dump there enegry at the extremes of there ranges alot more than heavier bullets do as they carry there weight farther

Comment

pineywoods, I could not agree with you more... So True, so true... I love my .270.

Comment

I respectively disagree with some of these comments, for example jake says the 06 has more (thump) only if you shoot a bigger bullet, if you talk apples and apples say 150 gain in both guns, then that statment is not true. The two calibers are almost twins with the 06 having slightly more knock down power than the 270 (11 pounds more at 200 yds)11 pounds that not a thump it's eye blink.
                    the 06 has more bullet sizes which if your reloading give you more verity of bullets to play with.
                    Iv'e shot elk,moose.bear and mountain goats with both and can't say one kills any better or faster than the other.The most important thing is confidence in the weapon and shot placement. Each has it's advantages depending on what size bullet your useing.
                    These are all just opinions and these are mine,bsed on 55 years hunting and reloading experience.

Comment

30/06 has more thump. Accuracy can get interesting.

Comment

Welcome woodsmanj35, I see that you made here.

Comment

yes we can all talk about how accurate we are/the truth is our on liabilities and limitations keep us from getting the tight groups that the weapon is capable of performing.As far as killing power i've yet to see the military adopt the .270 hmmm I wonder why that is ?

Comment

6phunter, the Special ops guys have designed a new cartridge, the 6.8 Remington SPC. The bore size is 270 and the articles that I have seen show a 115 gr slug, that is pushed at 2800 fps.
                            So the 6.8 does not have the weight or the speed that a .270 Winchester does.
                            The army used the .30-06 in the M1 Garand until they switched over to the M-14 and a lighter cartridge, the 7.62 NATO. The .270 came along during that time frame.
                            The biggest reasons that the military does not use a cartridge like the .30-06 and the .270 are the weight of the ammo, and many soldiers had a problem with the recoil. Using the new AR platform seems to have helped there, but the .223 has much less recoil than any of the other two regardless of the platform used.
                            The reasons the Army went from the .45 ACP to the 9 mm was for the same two factors, weight of ammo and recoil.

Comment

the 45waas preferred in ww 2 because of bonzai tactics,the genvea conference urges the use of lighter caibers to disable rather than kill.police departmenta across the nation are replacing the 9mm with 357mags,in hunting situations i'd rather have more gun than not enough.my main point is most all weapons are more capable than the marks men using them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X