Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best gun for hunting moose,deer,caribou,elk and blackbear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best gun for hunting moose,deer,caribou,elk and blackbear?

what is the best gun for hunting moose,deer,caribou,elk and blackbear?

i have killed all of them with my 270. good caliber, flat and fast.

Comment

You are going to get many answers, and to be honest probably most will be good. If I had to only choose one gun for all it would be my 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Comment

Check out the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. What I like about it is that you can buy different power level ammo for it. So its like buying 3 rifles in one. Zero is the same out to 200 yards with all three levels. You can use power level 1 for deer and black bear (150 gr), power level 2 (180 gr) for most everything else. I would use the power level 3 for the moose.

Make sure you get a good scope on whcih ever rifle you get. I have a Nikon 4-12 on mine. Its held up to the recoil so far.

Comment

One gun? It would be at least a 300 mag of one kind or another. The bear thing is the kicker. Depends on the type of bear you are talking about.

Comment

270 or 338. ya might have a bruised shoulder after the 338 magnum

Comment

what really matters is where you hit the animal. if ya hit it in the wrong spot, no gun takes it down

Comment

mesarich is right ,the 300. is considered by all to be enough to handle all game mentioned.davewd is also right even though he favors a lighter weapon,he's confident with it and that's always a plus.MYSELF I choose a 30.06 for the same tw o reasons.

Comment

I would say that with a good shot, the 30.06 should handle all of the game you mentioned.

Comment

The perfect rifle for whitetails is not going to be the perfect rifle for moose. However for all of the above a Winchester 300 magnum or even a 30-06 using 220 grain bullets for moose would work.

Comment

30 06 or maybe a .308 for the bear. The .308 round is harder to find and more expensive, but the 30 06 is dirt cheap.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget