Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best distance to sight in my remington 308 semi auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best distance to sight in my remington 308 semi auto?

What is the best distance to sight in my remington 308 semi auto?

I would use 100 yards, BUT you need to get all of the ballistics data for the round that you are going to be using. When you get that, you can, with any decent ballistics program, determine your window.
    I use a 6" point blank window for my .270. If I sight my gun in at 2.75" high at 100 yards, I will never go more that 3" above line of sight and hit 3" below line of sight at 296 yds, hence the 6" window.
    When you are deer hunting and have your gun calibrated thusly there is no need to do any calculations in the field on your target out to the range you expect to be shooting.
    There is probably more data on the .308 round than any other as for many years it has been the choice of snipers in civilian police forces. ( The military used the 7.62 NATO which is close but not the same.
    This is just one way of doing it, but I learned this from reading Jim Carmichael, many years ago and have used it ever since with great success on deer. Good luck!!

Comment

Ear hole at a 100 yards.

Comment

BO gave solid advice.depending on youre sights ,open or scoped? type of terrain you hunt for wide low powered scopes or high magnifacation .I start at 50 yards and practice back,.after your groups tighten then begin to widen is when you start losing effective range.

Comment

I would just see what my longest shot would be if its 200 yards i would site in at 150 and you wouldnt have to raise or lower much if a deer walk out at a 100 yards or 200 yards but where you site it in at just shoot at differant distances to see what you can accuratly

Comment

I would sight in @ 100 yards and see how low it hits @ 200

Comment

The standard is 100yd for most hunting rifles, most deer are taken at under 100yd.

Comment

i always put my rifles at 1 inch high at 75 yards but thats in thick woods where shots rarely reach 100 yards. if you plan on shooting deer at less than 200 yards, this sighting method will work and your bullet should drop an inch or 2 at the most. good luck

Comment

To what purpose are you going to use your rifle?

How well and how far will you be shooting?

What ammunition will yu be using and what is the BC or the bullet?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X