Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking at my father's gun the other day. I was trying to find info on the gun and having problems. On the gun it says Fab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at my father's gun the other day. I was trying to find info on the gun and having problems. On the gun it says Fab

I was looking at my father's gun the other day. I was trying to find info on the gun and having problems. On the gun it says Fabpira De Armas Oviedo 1906. It is 6.5MM. When he bought it it had been modified for hunting. Why did they do that and what is the term called when you do that?

I believe the term is "sporterized." These were steps taken to make a military rifle more of a hunting firearm. You can see this in many of the '03 Springfields that soldiers modified from WWI for hunting purposes. In many cases, the 30-06 was the first modern cartridge many young men shot, and they saw the increased hunting potential over their old muzzle loaders. Consequently, the 30-06 is one of the most common hunting rounds in the US to this day.
    Common sporterizing techniques were to remove bayonet lugs, reshape stocks and change out sights to make the battle rifle more suitable for hunting.

Comment

You nailed it Captain. I have an old 1903 Springfield. The sporterizing included a different stock and removing the iron sights to mount a scope on it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget