Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking at buying a new rifle in either a 300 WSM or 7mm WSM. Does anyone out there own the 7mm WSM? What are your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at buying a new rifle in either a 300 WSM or 7mm WSM. Does anyone out there own the 7mm WSM? What are your thoughts

I'm looking at buying a new rifle in either a 300 WSM or 7mm WSM. Does anyone out there own the 7mm WSM? What are your thoughts about it? I've been told that a heavier rifle would help with recoil and that is why I've been looking at a Browning M-1000 Eclipse. Would that be a good choice? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The .300 WSM is a fine flat-shooting cartridge that I've used on a number of hunts and it has never disappointed. I don't have as much experience with the 7mm WSM, but the folks I've spoken with who are fans sing its praises as well.

It isn't clear what the future will hold for the 7mm WSM, but it is safe to say that the .300 WSM isn't going anywhere for a long time. If availability of ammo is an issue, I'd give the nod to the .300.

As for recoil, a heavier rifle will mitigate it but you also have to ask yourself if you're setting yourself up to develop bad shooting habits by purchasing a rifle in a cartridge that might intimidate you. My point is that there are a bunch of terrific long-range hunting cartridges out there that have mild recoil--take the .260 Rem. and 6.5 Creedmoor, for instance--that you could get in a rifle lighter (and less pricey) than the M-1000, which is a bit of a tank.

Then again, if lugging around a 10-pound rifle doesn't bother you, go for it. Browning makes a fine rifle and you'll probably be happy with it.

Comment

For this years elk hunt I purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard MOA in .300 WSM. The rifle is flat out a tack driver and honestly I thought the recoil was about the same as my 30.06. I used 150 grain Winchester ammo and it did the trick. After 20+ years of hunting with several 30.06 rifles I will now use the .300 WSM. I don't own a 7mm, but from what I've read it is a decent, yet "loud" rifle. Good luck!

Comment

I agree with Mr. Snow. I've packed a 300 Win Mag with a 3x9 scope around Idaho for 20 years. The mountains weren't as steep back then. I'm now looking for a smaller lighter rifle with a fixed power scope to drag up and down these new taller mountains.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
          by fitch270
          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
          Yesterday, 01:34 PM
        • Reloading Gear Order
          by fitch270
          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
          by dewman
          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
          by Ernie
          Any handgun hunters here?
          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
        • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
          by Ernie
          I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
          hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
          10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X