Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A senior gunsmith once told me that he could always tell when a gun has been cleaned with WD40 by the residue it leaves behind a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tws
    replied
    I have 6 long guns and 3 handguns revolver and auto. I have had all but 1 for over 30 years. I have never had to replace any part on any of my guns. I use water and soap on the muzzleloader. I will use gun oil on the moving parts if I plan on doing a lot of shooting but I wash it off at the end of hunting season or storing the gun for weeks or months. I have never used anything other than WD40. You will find no gunk , no build up and absolutely no rust and less than normal ware on any of my guns. I think most of the people who put it down here have never really tried it. Just wipe it on and wipe the excess off and you have really good protection.

Leave a comment:

• jim young
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    As a kid on a farm we used 3n1 oil on all the guns later in the service(63/65)we all used Brak-Fre on our M14s,BARs,M60s,M1carbens,M79s to this day I still use it, But I clean the guns down with (crc)
    Brakleen parts cleaner[NON-Chlorinated] dries fast
    then a fuew drops of brak-fre, WD-40 over times gums up.
    I have heard all this clap trap over 38 years of using WD for my you guessed it guns. All this crap about WD leaving behind a residue is bunk. What WD does is to dissolve grease and gunk in and around your gun. It will then drip out and if the WD evaporates it will leave the grease and gunk it had dissolved in it. from the WD manufacture site fact page "Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish.

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    WD40 Has many uses for guns and other mechanical things. But it is not a long term lubricant. It was designed for water displacement thus, W.D. It can wash out grease and oil and then evaporate causing little lubrication and piled up grease and dirt residue. Use WD, let set, and wipe of excess residue, then lubricate properly. It works as a fair non-abrasive cleaner. My father-in-law was in the bicycle business for 50 years, we used WD40 for many of those years. It was a quick fix for cables and other moving parts. But not longer term lube.

Leave a comment:

• guamfrank
    replied
    I have used WD-40 when I was hunting in the tropics with all the associated humidity and rain. I found that the WD-40 tended to gunk up the gun. I have stopped using that in favor of commercially available products designed for the firearms. I did use carburetor cleaner to remove the WD-40 sludge. I figured if it could be used on carburetors it should be good to use on the metals in the trigger mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    As a kid on a farm we used 3n1 oil on all the guns later in the service(63/65)we all used Brak-Fre on our M14s,BARs,M60s,M1carbens,M79s to this day I still use it, But I clean the guns down with (crc)
    Brakleen parts cleaner[NON-Chlorinated] dries fast
    then a fuew drops of brak-fre, WD-40 over times gums up.

Leave a comment:

• John B. Snow
    replied
    I don't use WD-40 on any part of my gun. As to what you should use, it depends on what you're cleaning/protecting.

Bore cleaners that remove fouling and copper like Hoppes or Butch's Bore Shine or Shooter's Choice are good all-purpose products for the bore and chamber.

I use Sweet's 7.62 as a dedicated copper fouling remover.

If I'm storing the gun, I'll run a patch with gun oil down the bore followed by a dry patch to protect the interior of the barrel.

To clean out a gunked-up trigger assembly, spray it with brake cleaner or douse it with lighter fluid.

And, finally, to protect from moisture and corrosion I use Corrosion X, though you can also apply a light coating of gun oil to any surface that might rust.

Leave a comment:

• bigjake
    replied
    Ive used WD-40 to oil break open action firearm hinges after wet hunts over the years and havent ever had one gum up.Like other lubricants,less is better than more.

Leave a comment:

• mesarich
    replied
    I have always used WD40, for over 25years now, and have not noticed that it has harmed my guns in any way. I like it and would recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• tduke
    replied
    Make it easy on yourself !!! There's an abundance of good quality gun cleaning solvents on the market. Breakfree CLR is both a cleaner and lubricant, Hoppes offers more choices for you that you'll need to pack a lunch at the store while you decide. You won't go wrong!

Leave a comment:

• A senior gunsmith once told me that he could always tell when a gun has been cleaned with WD40 by the residue it leaves behind a

A senior gunsmith once told me that he could always tell when a gun has been cleaned with WD40 by the residue it leaves behind and he highly recommended against it. I've read that the military use a spray cleaner called 'gun scrubber'. But an old timer gun smith with over 30 years experience recommends against gun scrubber because it's a harsh chemical, endorses WD40, but highly recommends Karoseen because it dries fast and leaves nothing behind. Who do I believe?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X