Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bullet to use with a lower caliber rifle like the 7/08 to hunt elk? Please recommend bullet and weight. I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    7mm-08 is ballistically optimal around 160-165gr. If it were me, I'd probably find out what was available in that range, and pick the Nosler Partition if available

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I shoot Winchester Silvertips in all of my rifles and have never been disapointed.

Leave a comment:

• tyler1991
    replied
    I would go with the remington ammo, because you can go wrong with remington. I don't know anything about the 7mm-08 but I would try to get atleast a 150 to 180 grain bullet if you can.

Leave a comment:

• Remington Metric
    replied
    I don’t have a lot of experience with the 7mm-08 but for my money on elk size game you can’t beat the Trophy Bonded Tip bullet in the Vital Shock line of ammunition by Federal Premium. That brand of bullet has been very accurate in the rifles I have used it in and has always been known for its weight retention and all around toughness. The Federal Premium line of ammunition seems to be very consistent and reliable no matter the caliber.

Leave a comment:

• BwanaCat
    replied
    I would purchase some premium factory ammo in Remington (140grain Swift A-Frame); Federal (140grain Barnes TSX & Nosler Partion) then go to the range several times to see which load your rifle shoots the best. If you reload, you can even try 160 grain bullets if you prefer a heavier bullet.

Focus on keeping your shots at 300 yards or less as I feel that is the best maxium distance for the 7mm-08 on elk (yeah, yeah, I know, somebody out there knows of their aunt's-uncles's best friend's cousin who annually kills their elk with a .22 cal Derringer at 1000 yards while blindfolded) Trust me, elk are tough so use tough bullets and enough gun at resonable and ethical distances. 300 yards and under with a 7mm-08 is plenty of medicine for elk.

I personally like the Swift A-Frame because it opens/mushrooms wide thus creating a good wound channel, it maintains over 95% of its weight upon impact, and it penetrates nearly as good as the Barnes TSX. The partition can do the job too.

This past fall I used a 180 grain Swift Scirocco II in a 30-06. I shot a cow elk at 150 yards through the left shoulder which exited out the right side. She made about 4 steps before falling dead.

Finally, I once shot a bull elk (5x5 raghorn)with my 7x57mm which is very similar to your 7mm-08. The shot was around 225 yards across the narrow end of a canyon. The 140 grain Partion entered through the left side destroying the lungs of the young bull. He made it roughly 25 yards side-hilling before dying.

You can't go wrong with the Swift, Barnes or Nosler products! Good hunting.

Leave a comment:

• What is the best bullet to use with a lower caliber rifle like the 7/08 to hunt elk? Please recommend bullet and weight. I am

What is the best bullet to use with a lower caliber rifle like the 7/08 to hunt elk? Please recommend bullet and weight. I am looking at the Remington boat tail, Winchester Supreme Ballasitic Silvertip, the Swift A-Frame, the Spire Point, the Speer Grand Slam, the Nosler Partition and the Barnes TSX.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
    by dewman
    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Now That's Service
    by jhjimbo
    Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
    Yesterday, 07:57 PM
  • Lost some cover; pic heavy
    by fitch270
    ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
    09-19-2020, 06:07 PM
  • Covid-19
    by jhjimbo
    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
  • Spur of the moment rifle
    by Amflyer
    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X