Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have two kids 10 and 12 yrd old. I am interested in teaching them how to shoot with rifles. What is the best technic and rif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shot
    replied

Francisco: 'Cody' noted above about says it all in my opinion, along with a number of these other gentlemen.

I would add, and reiterate to you and your sons, SAFETY, SAFETY, AND SAFETY SOME MORE..!!!

Have them take a complete and authenicated firearm safety course from the most reputable shooting organization you can find. I mean it, don't compromise on this most important point in the shooting sports.

And, caution these young lads to be very selective in their same age companions as they are in all probability going to want to share their new found shooting interests with their buddies.

When the guns are not in use, ammo and firearm separation plus lockable gun storage with you having the only key due to their young ages, need to be front and center on the agenda too.

There's too many needless tragedies from careless gun handling and thoughtless usage to overlook the #1 consideration...'SAFETY'!

Good Luck Dad, & enjoy the shooting sports with your beloved sons.

Leave a comment:

• seadog
    replied
    You can't beat a .22 LR for teaching youngun's how to shoot. The cost per round is still (in this day of crazy inflation) less than 3 cents a round. And handling recoil is best taught with none--IMHO, the most common shooting problem is flinching to anticipate recoil--the .22 has virtually no recoil--that develops good shooting habits.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnie
    replied

Go with a rifle that shoots .22 Long Rifle ammunition or a rifle that shoots .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle ammunition. You'll find semi-automatics come in .22 Long Rifle only due to the other .22 ammo isn't powerful enough to cycle the bolt. Most bolt action .22 rifles can shoot short, long, and long rifle ammo.

Bolt and semi-auto actions have their merits. Bolt guns need to be cycled by the shooter whereas semi-autos cycle themselves. I would say it is a personal preference on what action you want to use.
    A good technique to start with would be casual plinking to introduce them to safe gun handling and how to operate a gun. Using iron sights are a good start over a scope. You get to see the full picture of what is around you versus looking through a scope with a limited field of view.

My son, who was 4 years old this summer, started shooting a Ruger 10/22. We did one pull of the trigger shots and we did empty the magazine shooting. He had a lot of fun shooting one shot at a time and a whole lot more fun emptying the magazine. After emptying the magazine he would look at me with a giant smile on his face and say "That was fun!" You guys know how much fun it is emptying a magazine, don't tell me you don't have fun doing that.
    Shooting should be a fun, relaxing time; not a grueling exercise. No matter what age or how many years you have been shooting emphasize safety around guns and shooting them.
    Be safe out there shooting and in the woods. Good luck and good hunting to all who will be hunting this year.

Leave a comment:

• Derik Lee
    replied
    woops missed that, lol yeah i meant how not who.

Leave a comment:

• crabwearer
    replied
    .22 is a class but I've got a .17HMR that is amazing. I would recommend a quality bolt action as mentioned above, and don't worry about optics yet, maybe on the next gun they shoot that is a little bigger.

Leave a comment:

• illinoisburt
    replied
    22LR is great but depending on the availability of ranges in your area, I would suggest you invest in a good quality .177 pellet rifle matched in size and weight to a centerfire. All of the basics such as positions, slings, breathing and trigger control are exactly the same shooting 10 meter airgun with the bonus of being able to set up a safe year round range in most anyone's basement, garage, or back yard. Regular practice is the key to mastery and you will get a lot more shooting done if the gun range is literally steps away. Issues such as recoil and muzzle blast are relatively easy to overcome when you take the kids out to shoot the "real guns" once they are proficient with an air rifle. (As someone noted previously, stick to iron sights only!)

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    The .22 caliber is the right starting rifle for sure. I would add that it makes more sense in terms of safety and educating an inexperienced shooter to use a bolt action rifle as opposed to a semi-automatic. One shot at a time with focus builds rifleman, not emptying the clip in the vicinity of the target. I would also suggest starting with an open sight as opposed to a scope. Ranges for a .22 don't require a scope nor do the eyes of a young shooter. Try to buy the best quality .22 you can afford as an accurate rifle is always of interest and worth owning for a lifetime. Of course it is worth mentioning that the ammunition for a .22 is so inexpensive it is the undisputed champion for a practice firearm and the obvious choice for a first firearm. CZ, Browning, Ruger, Remington, Weatherby and Savage make bolt action .22. The Weatherby Browning and CZ are especially accurate and fine looking rifles. The Savage is good value though not dressed up as well. Lots of choices so take your time and have some fun in the choosing.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Johnsrud
    replied
    Ha Ha Yoda. Awesome answer if the kids are going into law enforcement! "while learning who to shoot." I know it's probably a typo, but just caught me as funny.

Leave a comment:

• MB27
    replied
    I have a .22,and it's an awesomely fun gun.But they shouldn't shoot a .22 forever,otherwise they'll be big gun shy.

Leave a comment:

• Derik Lee
    replied
    Something that they can have fun with is always good, so a .22 is great for plinking and target shooting while learning who to shoot or refining your marksmanship. They are also relatively inexpensive in comparison with big bore rifles.

Leave a comment:

• I have two kids 10 and 12 yrd old. I am interested in teaching them how to shoot with rifles. What is the best technic and rif

I have two kids 10 and 12 yrd old. I am interested in teaching them how to shoot with rifles. What is the best technic and rifles to use? any suggestions?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
    by jhjimbo
    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
    Yesterday, 10:38 PM
  • Spur of the moment rifle
    by Amflyer
    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
    Yesterday, 11:25 AM
  • The $20 Shooting Shack
    by fitch270
    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
  • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
    by dewman
    one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
    09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
  • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
    by dewman
    So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
    09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X