Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am an avid 17 year old hunter looking at investing some money into a new deer rifle. I'm especially interested in a .223 cali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am an avid 17 year old hunter looking at investing some money into a new deer rifle. I'm especially interested in a .223 cali

I am an avid 17 year old hunter looking at investing some money into a new deer rifle. I'm especially interested in a .223 caliber bolt action because of the cheaper ammunition. However, I'm hesitant as rumors are circulating about the growing scarcity of the .223. What do you think?

Don't go .223, it isn't an ideal round for deer hunting, I'd go with something bigger so if you do want to hunt other game like bears or something larger than deer you've got a rifle that can do it. But that is just my opinion. Though I haven't heard anything about a scarcity of .223 ammo.

Comment

I agree with yoda,the .223 is not a suitable deer caliber,go with a .270 instead.

Comment

A .243 would be good, .270 even better. IMHO, yoda & jake are right about the .223--not enough.

Comment

I will chime in here too. I know that there are those who have taken deer with a .223. I also know that many people have killed deer with .22 magnums. I do not consider the .223 to be adequate on deer.
          As an aside, Special Forces did not consider the .223 to be adequate on humans, hence the 6.8 SPC that many of the SOCOM prefer.If you look at that cartridge you will see that the bullet diameter is .277.
          That brings me to my choice which many people who have been reading my posts know what I am going to say. I highly recommend the .270. It is a wonderful flat shooting cartridge that is extremely effective on deer and will bring down an elk.
          The .223 is a great varmint gun, but I disagree with it being used on deer, I do not believe that it is adequate for many of the situations that many deer hunters may find themselves at the crucial time to squeeze the trigger.
          Yoda, Bigjake and Seadog are correct, in my estimation. I would advise against the .223.

Comment

Dont waste your money with a .223. There are a lot of guns that are good for deer. I agree on the 270 but also look into the 30-06. I know plenty of people that use both. I personally use a 30-30 but its all in what you like and the area your hunting.

Comment

I think the .223 is an inadequate big game cartridge and wholeheartedly agree with the recommendations for the .270. There are lots of other good cartridges out there, too, and I'm currently enjoying using a 7mm-08. The price of ammo for deer should not be a factor in your choice, since how many times are you going to be shooting a deer? You can practice with a .22 and be really cheap.

Comment

.223 is for humans and predators. Go with .243, 25-06, .257, 270. The 25-06 is a far reaching flat shooter. My Win 70 in .270 WSM loaded with a 110 V-max shoots a flat wind bucking 3400 fps. Try that with the .223

Comment

Sierra bullets developed a .224 diameter bullet that weighs 65 grains that is designed for use on deer. As far as I know you have to handload this 65 grain bullet. I bought some, but haven't used it on deer... yet. The one thing I would say about this bullet is: shot placement is of the essence.
                  ----------------------------------------------------I side with everyone else on their comments and don't recommend the .223 for deer hunting. Invest in a big game caliber, the .223 is more of a varmint round. I use a .270 for deer hunting and suggest that caliber. There are other big game/deer cartridges to consider as well.
                  Don't get wrapped up in the cheaper ammunition cost; "you get what you paid for" as the saying goes. It is expensive in time to look for a wounded deer and even more expensive when the deer is never found..... meaning you might have just shot a big body size deer and lost a freezer full of meat or a buck with a record setting set of antlers lost forever. Plus it is just not good practice to shoot and lose your game. Get a big game/deer caliber to hunt deer with, you will be glad you did.

Comment

I doubt if 223 will ever be scarce. It will kill deer and is legal in many states to hunt deer but it lacks the power to DRT one like the others said.

Comment

the short wsm.223 is a hard round to find and a delight to shoot at fairly long ranges 350, or more yards ,as you have already read my colleages disapprove it's use on deer.I agree with them but the favourite rifle cartrage is the venerable 30,06 has it's value as a hunting round is what all other advocates of thier favorite compare to.

Comment

I agree with everyone about the 223 not being a good choice but i'm really suprised noone mentioned the .308 Winchester. It's a very accurate caliber has mild recoil and is a perfect choice for deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X