Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ive been thinking about geting a 22-250 just to carry in the feed truck for coytes, coons & stuf in calf feeders & maybe a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive been thinking about geting a 22-250 just to carry in the feed truck for coytes, coons & stuf in calf feeders & maybe a deer

ive been thinking about geting a 22-250 just to carry in the feed truck for coytes, coons & stuf in calf feeders & maybe a deer every now & then what would you recomend as far as a brand & bullet type

Growing up with a 22-250 we used speer 70 grain soft point for deer and antelope, also a 63 grain zippedo for longer range antelope. (we were in Nebraska) These would blow the vertebra out the other side of the neck and drop them like a pole ax! For coyotes we also got a 63 grain full metal jacket but had to load it down a bit to keep from destroying the hides. For prarie dogs and such the 55 grain boat tailed hollow point was a literal blast. Loaded just under the blue in the book, it made quite the mess! Just do some experimenting with your particular rifle in your particular hunting environment, and you will work up the proper loads for the situation. The 22-250 is a real tack driver for me, and I am sure you will n ot be dissapointed.

Comment

oh I didn't mention that this was a circa-'60s model 70 winchester. Very well balanced for off-hand shooting, handled quite well in the field. The scope was an equally old 4x weaver plain jane. Now my brother has had this rifle re-barrelled with a fluted barrel, and a newer variable powered scope...he still just loves this gun some 30 years later. Mine is a Ruger m77 with a bull barrel, shoots hole shaving groups of three out to 300 yards on a calm day, but the bull barrel requires a rest rather than offhand shooting due to the increased weight forward. Hope this help ya!

Comment

It depends on how often you plan to eliminate pests in feeders and how often you want to actually hunt at distance. For your feed truck rifle and the coon problem I would recommend a lever action rifle in a pistol caliber like .357 magnum. The bullet probably won’t go through the coon and damage the feeder. If you really want a .22-250 and you plan to treat it like I see most feed truck rifles I would look at a Ruger number one. The single shot falling block action is simple enough that the expected neglect won’t gum up the action. If you want a bolt action repeater look for an old Savage, pre accutrigger. Those are tough, cheap, and accurate rifles and you won’t cry when you realize the amount of dust and debris that is covering your rifle come spring when you are done feeding and start fencing.

Comment

actually i would suggest using federal ammunition with 85 grains its done the job for my 243.

Comment

I would use atleast 50 grains and remington core lokt ammo.

Comment

My Rem. 22-250 shoots the best with Hornady 50 grain v-max.

Comment

I couldn't hurt. Does Big Green Still make the varmint alternative to the Core-Lokt, I think they used to call it Power-Lokt? I thought there was a 50gr version of that, that worked pretty well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget