Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm considering buying a used Browning BAR .270. It's the base model. It has some scratches on the wood, but no more than one w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm considering buying a used Browning BAR .270. It's the base model. It has some scratches on the wood, but no more than one w

I'm considering buying a used Browning BAR .270. It's the base model. It has some scratches on the wood, but no more than one would expect from a used hunting rifle. The problem is with the metal. On one side it looks as if someone took a screw driver and made lateral scratches deep into the metal. It detracts from the gun. The rest of the metal is clean. My guess is that it might cost in the neighorhood of $200 to have it reblued. It's a consignment gun and the local gun shop dealer is asking $575. Is that a fair price considering the condition of the gun; is it worth rebluing or should I just pass? It comes with an older Bushnell 3x9x40 scope. Your thoughts are appreciated.

I think 575 is too much for even browning if the barrel has scars. Spend 600 and buy a custom Savage built by ER Shaw or just a decent Savage in the caliber you like.

Comment

Definitely pass it up.

Comment

To echo everyone else's opinion, I too would pass. That much money could buy you an really, really high quality rifle. I would pass it up. No rifle that's that beat up and needs that much work is not worth $775.

Comment

It's not that its beat up, but more that the scratch in the metal on the side of the gun are very noticable and are not going away. Other than what I said about the wood, everything else seems fine. I think however that you may be right that the money spent on this gun, even if nothing was done to get rid of the scratch marks could be better used on a new gun. Thanks

Comment

As much as I like Brownings, I would not buy that one. Too beat up on the outside makes me wonder if it is mechanically sound or not.

Comment

I'm imagining this huge crevis the length of the barrel. If it's minor and the gun will shoot it might be worth consideration - if you don't mind the scratch - but not at that price. Make a low offer and leave your info with the dealer. The consigner may eventually come down to your price if it sits on the shelf long enough. If you buy it, don't plan on getting your money back.

Comment

My price for a new
                Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker Open Sights 22" Barrel, 270 Winchester, With Sights

Cash Price (Open Account / ACH)
                $839.00
                All Others
                $864.17
                MSRP $1,119.00

Due to the use and the especially abuse, PASS!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X