Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, I love 30.06 rifles and have four of them. I would like to purchase another rifle in a different caliber that I'll use mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I love 30.06 rifles and have four of them. I would like to purchase another rifle in a different caliber that I'll use mo

Okay, I love 30.06 rifles and have four of them. I would like to purchase another rifle in a different caliber that I'll use mostly on mulies and elk. If you have about $800 total to spend on a rifle and scope, what would you suggest and in what caliber?

Well most savages cost around that much i'm not sure if they come with scopes but umm might i suggest a 300 Win Mag

Comment

Ruger Scout Rifle in 308 outfitted with Leupold scope. This is fast handling fast shooting little rifle.

Comment

I say it is time to step away from those 30 caliber bullets and get wild and crazy with something like a 25-06 or a .270 or a .280. Your 30-06 rifles will not bad mouth the new guys because they are offspring of the 30-06. If you are a handloader you could resize your '06 cases to any of these new rounds. How perfect is that my friend.... I think I have just given some good advice. I wish the rest of my day had gone as well!!
        Charlie Elk's judgement in this regard is clouded as he wants to own the Ruger Scout rifle himself....or he already owns that rifle and is wishing you the same enjoyment.

Comment

I like Kody's recommendations. I really enjoy my .280, and I think I could get a lot more out of it if I were reloading. To break the .30 cal trend, I would go with the .270 or the .280.

Comment

Savage 25-06 or a Remington BLk gun in 223

Comment

have you ever tried muledeer hunting with a lever action 30-30 open sighted? It's a challenge especially when they do the muledeer hop up the hill, it's not going to get'm all but it sure is fun brings back memories of the open sighted bb gun as a kid.

Comment

I Would go with a Reminton model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, as for the scope, no suggestions haha :-)

Comment

Alot of poeple think that you need a monster gun to take elk. Not so. I have a lever action marlin in .30-30 Winchster that i have used all my life and have taken just as many deer and elk with it as anybody else. I do agree that you may want more gun if you plan on shooting out past 200 yards. A .270 is one of the most versitlile of guns and effective on any animal. You can get a new winchester model 70(best gun around) for around 700 dollars and a good used leupold VX1 scope for 150. I think this would be the perfect rig for what your looking for.

Comment

The new Savage Edge in .270 Winchester. $329.00 for the Savage Edge with black synthetic stock without a scope or the Savage EdgeXP which includes a 3-9 x 40mm scope for $379.00.
                    Buy the Savage Edge with black stock without scope for $329.00 and a Leupold VX-II Rifle Scope 3-9 x 40 mm for $300.00 and (not including sales tax) you will have $171.00 left over for ammo, sling and tags.
                    Or buy the Savage Edge with scope for $379.00 and you have $421.00 left over for ammo, sling, and tags. We know you won't have to spend all of the $421.00 for the ammo, sling and tags. So, with the extra money why not go out to dinner?
                    I read an article in a gun magazine on the Savage Edge and the review was positive.

Comment

Kody, you're recommending a 25-06 for elk? Isn't that a bit on the low end caliber wise?

Comment

Kody is right I own the Ruger and am wishing you the same enjoyment. His point of owning a lot of different guns is a day dream come true...

In my humble opinion-
                        Anyone who chases elk and mulies in and out of black timber or busts whitetails out of tight brushy cover needs a fast shooting easy handling rifle. My Ruger Scout has proven itself worthy.
                        For the game we are talking the .30 calibers are the way to go for reliable clean kills.

Leupold makes a scope specifically for the Ruger Scout the combo sells new for $800. With the forward mounted scope you can shoot with both eyes open making it an excellent choice for moving targets.
                        later,
                        charlie

Comment

I like the 30-06 so I wanted a good jump in power with little recoil (most will say it doesn't exsist). It does, it is the Browning X-bolt in 325 WSM, kicks like a 30-06 hit like a 338 Win Mag.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X