Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it true that a bullet rises a bit after leaving the muzzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it true that a bullet rises a bit after leaving the muzzle?

is it true that a bullet rises a bit after leaving the muzzle?

The rear sight is higher that the front sight. Your eye sees straight ahead at the target. The barrel is canted up a little due to the sights and so the bullet leaves the muzzle on a slight upward angel and goes up a little from dead level but gravity takes over and the bullet begins to angle down downrange. If the barrel were perfectly level, the bullet would never go up at all. It would start level and angle down due to gravity.

Comment

Yea he is right all bullets have an arch to them no matter what.

Comment

It al depends on the angle of the barrel in respect to dead level. A dead level barrel results in no bullet rise.

Comment

The answer that if the barrel is dead level this doesn't happen, isn't true 100% of the time. For the sake of generalization yes it is true, but there are some oddball cases that might make this untrue

It depends on how the bullet leaves the muzzle and if the pressure wave of burning powder is still accelerating the bullet once it leaves the barrel and it provide vertical thrust in that wave, it can in fact drive the bullet upward. A clear example of such a case would be a crown defect or un-burnt powder combusting outside the barrel driving the bullet slightly up, or even a bullet with an odd yaw that might somehow theoretically create a bit of lift. Again, not common cases but theoretically could happen

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun cleaning patch tip
            by fitch270
            So I’m reorganizing the gun bench and notice the mock turtleneck shirt I’ve kept around for cutting into cleaning patches. Good 100% cotton fabric...
            Today, 03:36 PM
          • 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
            by Ernie
            Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
          • Outdoor Life archives
            by Scott123
            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
            10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
          • Blade Stain
            by jhjimbo
            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
            10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
          • Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X