Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the 7.62x39 round have a practical hunting application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bo
    replied
    Captain, I have an SKS that has taken deer with some effectiveness, and a friend uses an AK. I have heard no complaints.

Leave a comment:

• the captain
    replied
    Bo, before I clicked on the article I was going to say the exact same thing on the subject... well done, sir!
    I would argue that the 7.62x39 is a more appropriate deer cartridge than the .223/5.56 by a long shot. Keep in mind, you will find the same limitations in range as the 30-30. Where I hunt, you need to be able to reach out there, but if you are hunting timber, I would not hesitate to shoot an AK at a deer or black bear.

Leave a comment:

• Old Salts
    replied
    Knocks deer down like Thors Hammer!

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    I meant to include in the above that anything you can hunt with a .30-30 using the 125 gr bullet, you can hunt with the Russian round.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    The 7.62 Russian generally shooting a 123 grain slug is compared here to a 30-30 shooting a 125 gr bullet.
    MV for a 7.62 Russian is around 2390 fps. 30-30 is 2570. This slows to 2019/2083 at 100yds and to1686/1656 at 200 yds.
    Muzzle Energy is 1902/1833, at 100 yds it is 1358/1204. At 200 yds it is 947/761.
    So it similar to a .30-30. Better in some points, not so much in others.
    Those values are off of the Federal premium website.

Leave a comment:

• Does the 7.62x39 round have a practical hunting application?

Does the 7.62x39 round have a practical hunting application?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
    by dewman
    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
    Yesterday, 08:40 AM
  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
    by dewman
    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
    Yesterday, 07:59 AM
  • What is taking so long ?
    by jhjimbo
    Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
    09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
  • Burn cream
    by CD2
    Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
    No longer does.
    Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
    Bargain.

Got...
    09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
  • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
    by dewman
    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
    09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X