Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be safe to shoot modern gun powder out of a Thompson Center Encore 50 Mag cal. blackpowder rifle? It is stainless. If

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be safe to shoot modern gun powder out of a Thompson Center Encore 50 Mag cal. blackpowder rifle? It is stainless. If

Would it be safe to shoot modern gun powder out of a Thompson Center Encore 50 Mag cal. blackpowder rifle? It is stainless. If it s safe, what would be any recommended loads?? Tom Parrett,Newblaine,AR

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN AN TC ENCORE 209 50 CAL MAGNUM PERIOD. NO!

The only Muzzle loader that is capable of using Smokeless powder is the Savage Model

Muzzleloader Series
    ?10 MLSS-II Camo
    ?10 MLSS-II
    ?10 MLBTSS-II
    ?10 MLBSS-II
    ?10 ML-II Camo
    ?10 ML-II

Comment

NOOOOOOOO!
      Old Salts is correct.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

In case you missed the message.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER...

EVER...

shoot smokeless powder in a muzzleloader. With the single exception of the Savage mentioned earlier, there is not a single muzzleloader on the market designed to take the pressure of a load of smokeless powder. This is due in part to the fact that the breech is not completely sealed - because you have to place an external priming source (cap, shotgun primer, whatever), there is the chance, however slight that some of the gases will be expelled out of the back of the chamber.

Comment

horseman308

Good point to bring up, the location of the breech plug will be lethal!

Comment

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=savage+muzzleloader+&form=QBIR&qs=n&sk=&s c=1-20#focal=d4520318e1fd5dbfe099b103bdd7afdb&furl=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpmuzzleloading.com%2FSavge_Blow_Up_ 3_001.jpg

Comment

if your rifle is actually a black powder rifle,then u should use black powder in barrel...up to 150 grains,, NOT modern gun powder like centerfire highly NOT recommended......

Comment

As mentioned above the answer is ,"NO"! Just for your interest, when you ignite black powder there is an explosion that rockets the projectile out the barrel. When modern smokeless powders ignite they drive the projectile by the enormous pressure generated by the expanding gases. Modern powder without some sort of containment, as in a pile on the driveway, ignites and burns away without much fanfare. Black powder handled in the same manner will get the neighbour's attention as it can be explosive without containment. There are few grades of black powder based on the size of the grain which likely determines its burn rate. However, there are dozens of modern powders each with a definite burn rate. The use of a powder with a vastly different burn rate than that required for the cartridge can cause the strongest of modern rifles to fail and injure the shooter.

Comment

Whew! Thank goodness for good advice.

Comment

Another thing about black powder and black powder substitutes versus smokeless propellant(s). Black powder or black powder substitutes are measured by volume and smokeless propellant is measured by weight.

Comment

As far as the Savage ML breakup, see this article;
                      http://randywakeman.com/HowToBlowUpASavage10ML.htm.
                      Seems there was more involved that the author of the first article wanted people to know. But it goes to show that if you put your mind to do it, you can blow up just about anything.
                      I will say that in years past, I had an opportunity to play with things that blew up. None of us, myself or the guys I was with ever blew up anything by accident. I heard stories, but could not verify any of them.

Comment

No no
                        Smokeless powder cannot be used in a Muzzleloader, except for the above mentioned Savage. Try to think of a "squared away" friend or relative who shoots muzzle loaders and go the the range or to a cool spot and have them teach you. I started wearing ear plus & ear muffs. Take some saftely glassses and targets. Read up on shooting muzzleloaders. Some metalic cartrideg reloading manuals have muzzle loader sections. Be safe & have fun practice practice...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X