Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im thinking about buying a .22 but i want my kids to be able to shoot it now and after they are older. So I am thinking about re

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im thinking about buying a .22 but i want my kids to be able to shoot it now and after they are older. So I am thinking about re

Im thinking about buying a .22 but i want my kids to be able to shoot it now and after they are older. So I am thinking about removing the recoil pad or but plate what ever it has and drilling 2 holes 1/2 inch in diameter 1 on top and 1 on bottom atleast 6 to 8 inches deep then cutting the stock with a band saw. After i cut it down i was going to put dowl rods in the cut off part of the stock so i could easily reattach it to make it back to my length so i could use the same rifle and also so my kids could use it after they grow out of the short stock. Has anyone ever done this before and does it make sense to any one else?

For me this would depend on what kind of money you spend on this rifle in the first place. You may not share my opinion but here is my line of thinking. If I buy a rifle that will be in the family for generations I buy the best rifle I can afford at that time. It is a waste of time and ammunition to buy anything that is less than accurate. That is not usually a problem with a decent .22. I would not cut down the stock of any quality 22 and expect to still be proud to own it after it grows up again. That's just my choice as I don't care to own an ugly rifle regardless of how it shoots. Shallow I guess! In the first place, I would choose a rifle with some nice grain in the stock. So, carving it up would be painful. A possible solution would be to buy a rifle that stock manufacturer can supply with a cheap plastic stock. Those things are designed for pure function and are butt ugly in the first place so chop away. .Cut that one down and save the wood original for your grown up kids. I believe the CZ American to be a good value.

Comment

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm
      get the henry great for all ages and u can take it camping hikeing or where ever you may go

Comment

you could get a ruger 10/22 and customize it with synthetic stock that adjusts. But I worked at a summer camp where we did some rifle shooting with the kids and honestly if they shoot at a bench or prone it didn't make a difference. We did have a problem with some rifles being to short ( those little cricket .22's).

Comment

I will agree with Kody & Yoda, but I have never been around the henry that Midas is talking about. I bought a Marlin'Glenfield 60 when I was about 14 and still have it, it is on the 3rd firing pin, with needing another. I bought my daughter a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas and love it as much as she does. The other thought on cutting a gun down is that if a child learns how to use a full size gun to start with they don't have to relearn how to hold it as they get bigger. My brother-in-law never let his sons shoot anything but full size guns and those youngsters have shot better game than I ever have and have had no problem having to readjust their aimimg stance. Of course when I grew up we had never heard of a youth size gun.

Comment

I agree with Kody on not doing it. But caution you about cutting a plastic stock. Most of them are hollow.. lol Be kinda hard to put back together. I would go with a Ruger 10/22 because there are endless options for a 10/22 and they are very accurate little guns...

Comment

yeah the ruger 10-22 is a good rifle for any age--just one tip--dont put a scope on it unless you want to buy one that costs more than the rifle----there known to break the cross hairs on the cheaper scopes after i clip--learn that real quick---but for a cheap .22 rifle there a good way to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                by fitch270
                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                Yesterday, 08:27 PM
              • Unusual Sound
                by jhjimbo
                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                Yesterday, 02:17 PM
              • bedding on new rifle
                by Amflyer
                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                Yesterday, 12:22 AM
              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                by fitch270
                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X