Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am have a bad time today. i got a 300 win mag it had it shooting good. but something put it out again. so i first tryed at 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am have a bad time today. i got a 300 win mag it had it shooting good. but something put it out again. so i first tryed at 100

i am have a bad time today. i got a 300 win mag it had it shooting good. but something put it out again. so i first tryed at 100 yd it was high right . tryed at 25 it was half inch low all 4 shoots went back to 100 was way high right then just right then left then back high right.. and it was not grouping at all. maybe you guys can tell me what i am doing wrong.?

You might check the stock and scope mount screws, I have had same problem with some scope mounts coming loose on a 7 mag.

Comment

i checked that i tho the same thing , but its right on at 25 yds shoot for shoot. but at 100 yd its high right and never in groups.

Comment

First of all, I agree with Halfcell. First thing to check is scope mounts and rings. Make sure they have not loosened. after that I would start from scratch and re-zero your rifle. If you do not have a bore sight or not comfortable, take it to a gunsmith or sportshop. Have it re-boresighted and head to the 25 yard range before firing at 100 yards. Remember to group first and then make adjustments to bull. Try to be consistant with ammo type also, different rifles /shooters perform differently with different ammo. Being consistent will make you shoot consistent. Good luck and enjoy the learning experience.

Comment

If you mounted the scope yourself make sure to put some locktite on the screws for the base mounts. But just keep at it the solution will come up.

Comment

Are you using the leupold base and rings with the windage screws on the left and right side of the base? If so then this is the problem, my buddy had the same problem then 2 wks later I did. the rings are cast and where the screw holds tight to the ring it gets ate away slowly by the screw due to recoil. Not easy to see at first keep shooting and you will really see the damage or loosen the 2 screws and take a look where it joins with the ring..i bet it is no longer a semi-circle...If not these type of rings then the first thought is still scope,rings, or base

Comment

also check tomake sure the scope is not contacting the barrel

Comment

Yoda!! LockTite = Bad! Locktite will always end bad. It can seep down into the action and really screw things up. Never, ever, ever use locktite. Just get the screws hand tight, recheck every so often.

Comment

I am going to chime in here and agree with the bulk of the comments. Sounds like your scope has gotten loose. Either the rings or the mounts. I would tighten them all down and start from scratch. If it is tight, you should only have a change in the vertical axis of your groups as you change the distance you are shooting. If it changes on the horizontal axis, it is a loose scope until proven otherwise.

Comment

Try a different scope if the other stuff dont work you might have one that moves inside with each recoil i have had several scopes do this especially with age. The other thing i seen is my buddies 30-40 crag would do the same thing with light bullets he put the heavy weghts in and now it one of his most accurate rifles

Comment

There are other variables that you may have already considered but are worth mentioning. Sometimes the tough problems to remedy are those that result from several factors working in combination. Yes, the scope and its mounts may be the issue. Are you firing enough rounds in these tests to heat up the barrel? A lighter contoured barrel is quickly affected by multiple shots. If your rifle has a wood stock it could be warping and causing your pattern to wander all over the target. Run a piece of paper between the barrel and stock following shots to see if there is a point at which it is binding. Attend to the matter with some sandpaper if necessary. If it is not a free floating barrel check the pressure of the fore end of the stock on the barrel, it may need to be less. If this rifle has fired lots of rounds it may be in need of a good cleaning to strip the copper from the rifling. I you are using Barnes soft copper rounds this would be an essential operation. Eliminate one other variable as you work towards identifying the problem. Put the gun in a rock solid rest and try again.

Comment

Check all of the above mentioned suggestions. If that doesn't work then it is your scope. 300 Mag has some stiff recoil and takes a toll on scopes. Upgrade that and it should be fine.

Comment

Let's start at the beginning. Are you using a cheap scope, rings and mounts? Any one of those could be a problem. Are your mounts and rings correctly mounted and tight? If not, have your local gunsmith take care of that for you. By all means, always use quality equipment. Never go cheap.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                            by Scott123
                            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                            Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                          • Blade Stain
                            by jhjimbo
                            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                            Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                          • Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X