Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen the warning fromSteve Hornady about shooting.17 hornady's ammo in certain rifles?Shooting Times.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen the warning fromSteve Hornady about shooting.17 hornady's ammo in certain rifles?Shooting Times.com

Has anyone seen the warning fromSteve Hornady about shooting.17 hornady's ammo in certain rifles?Shooting Times.com

Since nobody is going to get on this Hornady has issued a warning not to shoot their ammo in ANY automatic .17 HMRs and to contact the manufactures of any .17HMR no matter the make or model to insure that they are safe to shoot the hornadys ammo in.The article is in the latest Shooting Times or can be seen online at the same.
    Safety warning

Comment

It is unfortunate that such a broad statement was issued, especially my such a great ammunition company. Magnum Research has a very nice Semi-Auto in 17HMR, so does Volquartsen and Alexander Arms is bringing out a 17HMR upper for AR's.

A couple of rifles had problems with the early 17HMR rounds. Primarily the Remington 597 17HMR. Both the 17Mach2 and 17HMR have had production quality issues and like all ammo safety precautions should always be taken - glasses especially. The main problems I am aware of are split cases (especially in the 17 Mach 2) and squib loads. There have also been some reports of hot loads causing some blowback actions to open early, but I have not been able to get confirmation of that problem, the early opening problems I have had were only on rounds that had split cases. The splits are visible (very fine lines) on the round before it is fired. They start out at the necks and run toward the rim. Older lots of CCI produced rounds marketed by Hornady and CCI have had higher incidences of problems. I have never heard of a problem with Eley ammo. My brother and I both have EA Brown 17 Mach2 10/22 conversions that shoot .500 groups at 100yds. Because of this bad hype, EA Brown stopped selling their EXCELLENT conversions. We continue to shoot our daily and have not had another failure since November of 2009. We always wear glasses and gloves (when they blow, they vent through the magazine well). We have never had a problem with our Volquartsen or Magnum Research 17HMR semi-Autos even after thousands of round.

These are great rounds, we can not let knee jerk reactions kill them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
        by jhjimbo
        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
        10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
      • Pay it forward
        by fitch270
        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
      • Reloading Gear Order
        by fitch270
        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
      • Ruger Oops! Round 2
        by dewman
        Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
        10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
      • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
        by Ernie
        Any handgun hunters here?
        Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
        10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X