Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good factory load for a 25-06 that is not too expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good factory load for a 25-06 that is not too expensive?

What is a good factory load for a 25-06 that is not too expensive?

120 grain remington core lokt

Comment

I agree Taylor. The ammo manufacturers keep selling the notion of premium bullets to ensure performance..."Why take a chance on that trophy of a lifetime?". That is the thought they wish to plant in the hunter's mind. In fact, bullets like the Core Lokt and Winchester Silvertip were taking thousands of big game animals reliably for many years before the premium bullets arrived on the scene. In the case of the 25-06 on 'whitetail deer' I contend that bullets such as the Partition are penetrating thru the animals and wasting energy in the dirt upon exiting. So, you get too much bullet to perform properly where the cheaper one would have been more effective.
      A suggestion for you, Stepheno8. If you plan on shooting much and want to maintain consistent accuracy from that 25-06 try to buy a few boxes of the same ammo. Loads from the same lot of manufactured cases and powders are uniform where the boxes you buy in a year or two may vary. This variation can change your point of impact. As a handloader, I have found mixing old and new cases of the same manufacturer, let alone mixing cases of different manufacturers, can adversely affect accuracy. Save you spent cases and label them for future reference. Someday you may decide to start reloading and you will be have saved on the most expensive component. Incidently, the 25-06 is one of the easiest calibers to reload as it tends to track very well as you experiment with increasing charges of powder. If your rifle proves to be accurate with factory loads wait to you see it shoot your own loads!

Comment

Kody, I am about to open a reloading thread... get all of your comments ready!

Comment

Kody, you are on the money about the premium bullets passing through the deer. I was trying to get max accuracy out of my new 7mm-08 and was handloading Nosler Accubond and got good accuracy, but shot two deer that took a lot of work to find because the bullet didn't make much of an exit wound. Shot placement was good but the bullets didn't do as much damage as they should. I changed immediately and had much better results. Those bullets are simply designed for heavier game than the whitetails where I live.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
            by 99explorer
            A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
            She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
            The...
            Today, 08:41 PM
          • Plane crash.
            by 99explorer
            A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
            Where do they bury the survivors?
            Today, 03:16 PM
          • Animals on the ark.
            by 99explorer
            How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
            Today, 02:08 PM
          • The college student puzzle..
            by 99explorer
            A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
            The first station is a mile from home,...
            Yesterday, 01:58 PM
          • Pieces of gold.
            by 99explorer
            Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
            08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X