Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm having a hard time sighting in my 30-06 at a hundred yards. got any suggestions to help me sight in my rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a hard time sighting in my 30-06 at a hundred yards. got any suggestions to help me sight in my rifle.

I'm having a hard time sighting in my 30-06 at a hundred yards. got any suggestions to help me sight in my rifle.

What's the issue? Is it not grouping or is it not hitting the paper?
    Use a big sheet of paper (so you can find the bullet holes) and zero dead-on at 25 yards. Transition to 100 after this. It should be close (a couple of inches high at 100), and you should only have to make minor adjustments from there if you want it zeroed for 100 yards.

Comment

Something else to think about, what kind of ammo are you using? I have an old Win. mod 670 30-06 that did not like win. 150 grn factory loads, would put them all over the paper at 100 yds with some misses. Never did know why, it would shoot other 150 grn brands just fine. I get the best groups with 180 grn Hornady reloads.

Comment

I like all the ideas above. You are assuming that this gentleman is using a scope. While that is likely if he is using open sights making the necessary adjustments can be confusing. In any case sight at close range should get things on track. Prior to getting Bushnell boresight device I use to pull the bolt, secure the rifle and center on a dot on a wall 25 feet away by looking down the bore. Adjust the crosshairs of the scope to center on that dot, confirm that the bore is still on the mark and you are bore sighted. Now, firing the rifle at a target 25 yards away will have you on the target and you can track the movement to the bullseye. Once accomplished, move onto the 100 yard target. If you have trouble at that 25 yard range, you better get one BIG target. If that fails, it is time to start wondering about the scope, its mounts or the rifle. If the sight in process goes wrong at the 100 yard location after tracking correctly at the 25 yard mark then your shooting may be the issue.

Comment

GO SPEMD A COULE OF BUCKS AND GET A GREEN LAZER BORE SITE, IT WELL WORTH THE $$, YOU CAN SITE IN 2 A QUICK AND AS SOON AS YOU PUT IT IN YOUR RIFLE YOU WELL SEE QUICKLY WHERE YOUR PRESANT AIM IS.THE REASON FOR GREEN IT WILL SHOW UP BETTER THAN THE RED, IF $$ ARE TIGHT, JUST BORE SITE AT 25 YRDS, AND WORK OUT FROM THERE.

Comment

Lets start at the beginning. First, make sure that the barrel is absolutly clean. If you have copper fouling in the barrel you can use a bore brush with copper cleaner on a cleaning rod in your cordless drill to really clean it out. After it is spotless, check the muzzle crown for any burr that could have possibly arisen from the barrel either sitting on the floor of a truck or getting bumped on something. Next, Make sure the mount is tight, BUT after, also make sure that your cross hairs are aligned vertically and horizontaly. It they are not aligned correctly it will cause accuracy problems. Then lastly, try a different brand of ammunition. Some will group a little better than others for your inparticular rifle. The clean bore, the tight properly mounted scope are critical. Then start at the 25 yard sight in. Get on paper close to center, then try 100. If you encounter a problem at 100 go back to 50 and find out where you are hitting. Adjust and try again.

Comment

i am have a bad time today. i got a 300 win mag it had it shooting good. but something put it out again. so i first tryed at 100 yd it was high right . tryed at 25 it was half inch low all 4 shoots went back to 100 was way high right then just right then left then back high right.. and it was not grouping at all. maybe you guys can tell me what i am doing wrong.?

Comment

I thought you would get about 50 responses stating Check every screw on your rifle for tightness then clean it. Here is some advice for after you have done all that. Next time you are at the range try the following. No caffeine before you go, next breath control take a breath not a big one just normal let out about half then hold it, squeeze the trigger, if it takes a while for you to stabilize then start over. Pick a target that has a small spot to aim at no bigger than a dime.do a few dry fire trigger pulls to get the feel of the trigger a bit better start at 25yds move out to 100yds only after you are satified with your 25yd groups use a solid rest and good optics(if you use optics) try a box or two and tell us how it comes out

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                  by fitch270
                  Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                  Yesterday, 08:27 PM
                • Unusual Sound
                  by jhjimbo
                  At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                  Yesterday, 02:17 PM
                • bedding on new rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                  Yesterday, 12:22 AM
                • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                  by fitch270
                  Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                  09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
                • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                  by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                  09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X