Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ihave a problem, I have a Ruger, Bolt Action, Carbine, in 223 caliber. It has a 16 1/2 inch barrel, I can not use any bullet wei

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ihave a problem, I have a Ruger, Bolt Action, Carbine, in 223 caliber. It has a 16 1/2 inch barrel, I can not use any bullet wei

    Ihave a problem, I have a Ruger, Bolt Action, Carbine, in 223 caliber. It has a 16 1/2 inch barrel, I can not use any bullet weight higher than a 62 grain, Anything above that will key hole at 25 yards. I can only shoot a 60 grain bullet at 100 yard, that will produce a small clover leaf, which can be covered with a dime.I can not find any spec's, on twist per inch. I believe this is the problem. Can you help?

  • #2
    Your Ruger has a 1:9 right hand twist.
    You can find specs at Ruger's web site > at Ruger's site click on 'Firearms Search' (in red bar, left hand side, you can't miss it) > click on 'Caliber Search' > enter your type/action then caliber/gauge then click on 'search' > click on 'Spec sheet' next to Compact Rifle - there you will find specs for Ruger Compact Rifle.

    Comment


    • #3
      A 1 in 9 twist barrel is at it's best shooting 42 thru 57 grain bullets
      a 1 in 8 twist is better for the 55 thru 68 grain bullets according to Ruger.
      Good luck at get it stabilizied.

      Comment


      • #4
        Treestand, I am trying to figure out why you are trying to load heavier bullets than a 62 grain into a .223. A 55 grain bullet will kill varmints like a champ.
        The .223 is a good flat-shooting rife, however if you are looking to throw a heavier bullet you need to look into larger calibers.
        With all of that said, feed your rifle ammo it likes and shoots well. If you want to shoot bigger bullets, use a larger caliber.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Johnnie View Post
          Your Ruger has a 1:9 right hand twist.
          You can find specs at Ruger's web site > at Ruger's site click on 'Firearms Search' (in red bar, left hand side, you can't miss it) > click on 'Caliber Search' > enter your type/action then caliber/gauge then click on 'search' > click on 'Spec sheet' next to Compact Rifle - there you will find specs for Ruger Compact Rifle.
          Thanks for posting. That's helpful

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alabamaoutlaw View Post
            A 1 in 9 twist barrel is at it's best shooting 42 thru 57 grain bullets
            a 1 in 8 twist is better for the 55 thru 68 grain bullets according to Ruger.
            Good luck at get it stabilizied.
            That's what I've read too

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by the captain View Post
              Treestand, I am trying to figure out why you are trying to load heavier bullets than a 62 grain into a .223. A 55 grain bullet will kill varmints like a champ.
              The .223 is a good flat-shooting rife, however if you are looking to throw a heavier bullet you need to look into larger calibers.
              With all of that said, feed your rifle ammo it likes and shoots well. If you want to shoot bigger bullets, use a larger caliber.
              That's good advice and exactly what I was thinking

              Comment


              • #8
                Treestand, what was your resolution to the problem. I also have a 1:9 twist on my AR .223 barrel.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Treestand, what was your resolution to the problem. I also have a 1:9 twist on my AR .223 barrel.
                  1-in-9 Inches
                  This is the beginning of the road for the shooter wanting to take advantage of the heavy bullet trend. The 1-in-9 is a great compromise twist rate—not too fast to cause problems with the 55-grain Bullets, but fast enough to stabilize all but the heaviest bullets under most circumstances. This twist will stabilize most traditional bullets up to 75-grains, and monolithics up to 70-grains—but they do so right at the edge of the envelope so not all rifles will do it. My personal 16-inch Rock River Arms carbine with a 1-in-9 twist does fine with ASYM’s Tactical Match Grade 77-grain OTM load, but has shown signs of instability with handloads using the 70-grain Barnes TSX—unless the bullet is pushed to maximum velocity. With longer barrels and the commensurate faster velocities, this twist can be more forgiving.

                  Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/#ixzz5C06WH6UH

                  Comment

                  Welcome!

                  Collapse

                  Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                  If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                  And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                  Right Rail 1 Ad

                  Collapse

                  Top Active Users

                  Collapse

                  There are no top active users.

                  Right Rail 2 Ad

                  Collapse

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

                  Right Rail 3 Ad

                  Collapse

                  Footer Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X