Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you clean a gun before the first time firing or in other words "break in" a new gun? When my Dad and I unpackage a new gu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you clean a gun before the first time firing or in other words "break in" a new gun? When my Dad and I unpackage a new gu

Should you clean a gun before the first time firing or in other words "break in" a new gun? When my Dad and I unpackage a new gun we don't do any of this, just make sure it's sighted in and ready to go. In fact, my father has never even heard of this practice. Is it reccommended?

Most guns nowadays, if new in the box, are coated with an anti-corrosive material. It should be removed before shooting. Use plain gun oil and patches/rags. Excessive material around the firing pin can prevent the gun from firing in cold weather. Excess material in the chamber can cause other problems. So, yes, clean it before shooting.

Break-in is completely different. Some people believe in going through a shoot and clean routine every shot, 5, shots, etc. Some people don't believe in it and just shoot away.

Comment

Mike has covered the subject. Yes, clean carefully before shooting, and every few shots for the first box or two. Bench rest shooters have fanatical barrel break in procedures, almost to the phase of the moon and incense burning. For hunting barrels I feel common sense will work unless you are willing too spend the extra time.

Comment

I guess I'll just clean the gun once I get it to remove all the anti-corrosive material but once that's done I guess I'll just shoot a way. That was very helpful, thank you!

Comment

I am using some Barnes bullets in a 7 X 57 Mauser and found the Barnes Loading Manual had a very thorough explanation about breaking in a new gun. They were pretty adamant about the procedure. Of course they are trying to minimize the copper build up in the rifling as there soft bullets are inclined to do when the barrel is new. I believe they claim the barrel needs to lose the sharper edges of the rifling with its first break in rounds. Then barrel needs to be cleaned until no green shows on your cleaning patches that are saturated in one of those bore cleaning solvents. They suggest this procedure is a wise course of action regardless of the bullets to be used. Give it a read for all the details.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
            by 99explorer
            Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
            How...
            Today, 09:32 AM
          • Rice for sale.
            by 99explorer
            A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
            He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
            He soon becomes...
            08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
          • Strangers meet.
            by 99explorer
            A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
            They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
            No identification markers...
            08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
          • OU football
            by FirstBubba
            Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
            The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
            08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
          • True romance.
            by 99explorer
            A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
            The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
            08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X