Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best safety option to swap for the original model 98 mauser action to allow scope mounting need something along the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best safety option to swap for the original model 98 mauser action to allow scope mounting need something along the

What is the best safety option to swap for the original model 98 mauser action to allow scope mounting need something along the line of model 70 win.Side swing instead of flip over.

Before you swap out that Mauser safety, try and see how much clearance you need for it to work under your scope. If the point of contact is the tube of the scope and not the belled-out optic lens, you might be able to grind a bit off the safety lever and keep the original safety in place. It's a good one.

Comment

If you have the original trigger on that Mauser I have a different suggestion. Replace that old creeping trigger with a Timney trigger which includes the safety. I installed one on my rebarreled 98 and improved the rifle considerably. My rifle is in a 7 X 57 Mauser and it is a thing of beauty. Incidently, there are drop in synthetic stocks made specifically for Mauser 98s that are terrific. My action dropped into that stock like it was custom made. It did get a little expensive as I put a better recoil pad on the stock as well but the rifle is now a keeper. I hope yours will prove to be the same.

Comment

The one i am working with has a FLAIG'S "ACE"270 win barrel and the 98 action the trigger is good ,and a Reinhart Fajen stock ,Walnut.A tack driver ,keeper
        There is 3/8 of an inch between the top of the bolt and the scope.Thanks for the input.Happy New year.

Comment

Jacy: Try to swing the safety up to 12 o'clock and see where it touches the scope. You can then judge how much metal you would have to remove for it to swing all the way over to the 9 o'clock position.

Comment

I have a customed made 30-06 with a mauser 98 action. The trigger was replaced with a Timney trigger and it is sweeeeeeettttt. Make sure you have sufficient clearance if using a scope.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget