Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a muzzleloader and I would like to know if anyone has comments on pellitized powder or lose powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for a muzzleloader and I would like to know if anyone has comments on pellitized powder or lose powder?

I am looking for a muzzleloader and I would like to know if anyone has comments on pellitized powder or lose powder?

I think it's mostly personal preference, but pellets make loading a lot quicker & easier.

Comment

Each has its own merit. Pellets come in 50 grain pellets, so you are limited in loading 50 grains at a time; either 100 grains or 150 grains. Whereas powder can be measured out in whatever grain amount you want, thus tailoring a load for your muzzleloader. Note: Blackpowder or modern blackpowder like Hodgdon Triple 7 granular is measured in volume, it does not get measured in the same way as smokeless propellant used in modern brass cases.
      Pellets can be dropped down the barrel versus powder which has to be poured. The pellets are convenient and quick. Powder needs to be measured first than poured into the barrel which is a bit slower. A trick I use is: pre-measure the powder at home, put it in a container and you won't have to measure in the field, just pour and go.
      There is a gizmo that you put your pellets and bullet in, kinda like a cigar tube. You uncap the tube, put the tube at the muzzle and pour everything down the barrel. I quess you could do the same for powder too.
      I like using the powder.

Comment

I'm speaking from my own opinion, so you'll have to decide for yourself and what works for you.

I have had bad experience with 2 things when it comes to muzzleloaders; they are old powder and pellets. In both situations I have had my gun dry fire and delay fire...several times. I don't know which one was the cause, so I buy new powder every year. Downside - it costs more. Upside - I get more practice and have more confidence when I shoot.

Comment

For in-lines use pellets. For side locks use powder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Blood trailing
            by fitch270
            Blood trailing ended up being a thing this weekend, figured I’d throw one more spin off out for the sake of serious discussion.

One of...
            10-13-2021, 08:42 PM
          • Gear Takeaways So Far This Year
            by fitch270
            I’ve always typically liked to travel light, hate carrying stuff I rarely use. So far this season I’ve twice now had reason to reconsider some basics....
            10-10-2021, 07:55 PM
          • Season update
            by fitch270
            Less than a week in and it’s been extremely active. Lots of close encounters and lots of buck activity but we haven’t drawn back yet. Strange thing...
            10-05-2021, 09:20 PM
          • Rimfire deer?
            by dewman
            Ok here's the discussion happening around here. (Missouri) All centerfire pistol calibers are deer legal here. Yes that includes the 380, 25auto. Have...
            10-04-2021, 02:04 PM
          • Shooting CVA scout pistol - winning ammo is......
            by dewman
            Deer Season XP copper impact.(Winchester) Their all copper rd. Shot better for me than regular deer season xp or Brownings 130 gr long range. Bummer as...
            10-04-2021, 11:51 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X