Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fact or Fiction? You use one grain of black powder for every yard you shoot, with your Muzzleloader. I have heard many answers a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact or Fiction? You use one grain of black powder for every yard you shoot, with your Muzzleloader. I have heard many answers a

Fact or Fiction? You use one grain of black powder for every yard you shoot, with your Muzzleloader. I have heard many answers and would like to know what is true.

Fiction. My pa uses 75 grains of FF powder in his Renegade .45 caliber side lock, and last year he shot his doe (or eater as he calls it) at 125 yards. He says the amount of powder is effected by much more than your desired range like bullet weight, type of powder, barrel twist, Etc... the combination of these things will determine you maximum shooting distance, and the amount of powder you should use.

Comment

I agree with Powderhoung I can answer this question based on what I know NOT to do. If you have a 100 gr load pushing a 230 gr projectile out a .54 caliber muzzle loader and you choose to use 150 gr of powder in the hopes of firing at a target 150 yards away you are courting disaster. If you fire that same projectile at target 10 yards away and choose to use 10 gr of powder you are equally at risk. I think this kind of loading is akin to taking your centerfire rifle brass and scooping up a full powder load seating the bullet and taking your chances. I want to live long enough to see my Granddaughter holding her own child, so I won't be doing this kind of experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by powderhound View Post
        Fiction. My pa uses 75 grains of FF powder in his Renegade .45 caliber side lock, and last year he shot his doe (or eater as he calls it) at 125 yards. He says the amount of powder is effected by much more than your desired range like bullet weight, type of powder, barrel twist, Etc... the combination of these things will determine you maximum shooting distance, and the amount of powder you should use.
        Excellent answer

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
          I agree with Powderhoung I can answer this question based on what I know NOT to do. If you have a 100 gr load pushing a 230 gr projectile out a .54 caliber muzzle loader and you choose to use 150 gr of powder in the hopes of firing at a target 150 yards away you are courting disaster. If you fire that same projectile at target 10 yards away and choose to use 10 gr of powder you are equally at risk. I think this kind of loading is akin to taking your centerfire rifle brass and scooping up a full powder load seating the bullet and taking your chances. I want to live long enough to see my Granddaughter holding her own child, so I won't be doing this kind of experimenting.
          LOL, Kody he was not saying it should be done.

Comment

Fiction of course. It all depends on the bore, projectile, type of powder, and firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Fiction of course. It all depends on the bore, projectile, type of powder, and firearm.
              The T/C Hawken manual has a good section on different types of powder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget