Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any comments on Remington Model 7 in caliber 7MM-.08 for hunting whitetails in Adirondacks of New York State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any comments on Remington Model 7 in caliber 7MM-.08 for hunting whitetails in Adirondacks of New York State?

Anybody have any comments on Remington Model 7 in caliber 7MM-.08 for hunting whitetails in Adirondacks of New York State?

buddie of mine uses one to hunt deer he loves it. nice gun and a real good caliber for deer.

Comment

My Brother uses it and loves it never has any problems with it.

Comment

I do not own a Model 7 but I love the way it handles. I do own a 7 X 57 Mauser which I load with various 139 gr, 140 gr and 145 gr bullets in 7 MM. The 7mm-08 handles these lighter bullets well and it is balanced, efficient round. I have shot a number of deer using these 7 mm bullets fired at 2900 and 3000 fps and they are impressive killers. The old Mauser has more case capacity and with the right chamber has the potential to seat bullets longer and load heavier bullets if required with enough room for a decent powder charge. Unfortunately, the old 7 MM mauser isn't seeing much ammo on the shelf so the 7mm-08 is a better answer regardless of ballistics. I believe the 7 mm-08 is pushing a 140 gr at approx. 2800 fps which is more than adequate. The case and the short action will not handle heavier bullets well; but, you are hunting whitetails so who cares! Whatever it gives up in potential velocity is more than compensated by its handy short action, the accuracy of the cartridge and its lower recoil. It is a winner!

Comment

Why a 7mm-08, when a 280 would be better. Oddball cartridges!

Comment

Clay, I am a fan of the .280 and convinced my brother to buy a Ruger in that caliber years ago. I agree that the .280 is a superior choice if ballistics and the need to load heavier bullets was the issue. Big Sid was talking about a Model 7 short action rifle so that narrows the choices. Speaking of oddball cartridges, if that rifle is chambered in the 6.5 X 55 it would be a good choice as well. Still, the little 7 MM-08 is a easy and reliable choice compared to its big brother the .308 that tends to get snappy and loud with a muzzle blast in that short barrel that can be a wake up call. I like the idea of a 7mm-08 in the Browning BLR lever action rifle. It would also be quick on target and fast on follow up shots. Check that one out as well Big Sid as I know it is available in your caliber choice.

Comment

I use a modle 700 7mm but I think it is just as good. Every deer I have ever shot with it has dropped on the spot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                by Ernie
                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X