Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to load 7mm Rem Mag, Barnes 150 gr. TSX Boattail, with IMR 4350 Powder. I have quotes of anywhere from 57 grs. to 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to load 7mm Rem Mag, Barnes 150 gr. TSX Boattail, with IMR 4350 Powder. I have quotes of anywhere from 57 grs. to 63

I am trying to load 7mm Rem Mag, Barnes 150 gr. TSX Boattail, with IMR 4350 Powder. I have quotes of anywhere from 57 grs. to 63 grs. Any help would be appreciated.

Your best bet it to look at the Barnes reloading book to get the best possible performance out of your loads and rifle. The internet shows the basic loads but the book give you allot more options for powders and also gives basic velocities. And on the web site Barnes list 54 grains of 4831 as the powder of choice. Another item to consider is what type of game you’re going after and the distance you’re shooting. Personally I think that the 150 grain is a bit light and would opt for the 160 or 175 TSX which both produce devastating results at distances up to 400 yards.

Comment

follow the recipe but go with the lowest numbers and go up SLOWLY from there. if you have questions contact david petzal or his witch doctor. seriously, know before you load!

Comment

jamesti is right on with his comments. Perhaps you other fellows misread the question poised? It involved how much powder to use when there is a wide range in the loading data provided. Forget which bullet, forget other designs.. the question must be answered with safety being the issue. If you don't understand that any reloading info provides the groundwork for working up loads it is highly unlikely that your particular rifle and chamber is going to dublicate what you see on the page. It is damn dangerous to make such an assumption. Enjoy reloading but "know before you load" and do so with a measure of fear so as not to become careless or complacent. Furthermore. don't listen to a bunch a guys like us advising you in such a critical matter... read the manual READ THE MNUAL ... every reloading book I own has very comprehensive instructions on reloading an discusses the issue you have raised her in more detail and with more expertise than you are going to find on this forum.

Comment

Sorry if that sounds too harsh.. but advising guys about how to cover your scent or what camo to wear is well and fine as you can be wrong and there there is no harm done. this is a altogether different matter, contributors need to take some caution when it comes to advising inexperienced handloaders.. making mistakes on this topic can have serious consequences. Direct them to a good resource whatever but take care in sending him to his hobby table to cook up some hot load.

Comment

I'll start out saying that we all want you to be safe first, and we don't mean to lecture to excess.

I just checked the Barnes Reloading Manual #4 (purchased in Jan 09 from Barnes at the SHOT show) and I wonder where the 57-63 range came from. The manual shows 52.5 to 58.5 for that powder / bullet combination. The numbers you quote would be overmax load for that powder (they match RL22 pretty close though). I will jump on the bandwagon about the cautions above, but I'll add that in every manual I've ever read, it ALWAYS warned you to start off 10% under the minimum and work up towards the max, checking for signs of over pressure as you go. Rarely is the hottest load the best load. I reload the .300 Rem Ultra Mag with the 168gr BT TSX, and thru my Rem 700 it is more accurate in the minimum to middle loadings with most powders than at the top (still over 3000fps). That adds the benefits of less recoil and longer barrel and brass life as well. You don't need to max out the velocity to make that bullet work - in fact according to Barnes folks at the SHOT show, it will work just fine at moderate velocites. They explicitly advised me to step down in weight from the 200gr or 180 grain TSX's to the 168gr, and load it to very close to minimums for a plains game hunt in Africa. They (Tim at Barnes booth) said I had to think unconventional because the TSX was unconventional - it will handle the velocity without breakup and penetration with 99% retained weight is better than conventional bullets that break up at higher velocities. Be safe, be smart and be careful! Good Luck.

Comment

So, vagabondh, am I to take it you give me a negative comment for 'lecturing' on the matter of safe advice for reloading. Perhaps I am too direct for your tastes. When I see something dangerous being done on a work site, particularly where the offending party should know better, I give it to them loud and dirty. It leaves little doubt as to consequences of making the same mistake. While someone's pride may be hurt, their wives and children would be thankful for the good advice regardless of the manner in which it was presented. In this case my comments were right on the mark and presented in a reasonable manner. You need to hone up on your critical reading skills before venturing such criticism It would seem a shame to me to get injured or worse while you are enjoying a hobby. I would think it equally shameful for someone who knows better not to speak plainly . That was my intention .

Comment

Keep up the good work, Kody. You have the correct handle on it.

Comment

Kody,
                  Wow, are you OK now? I had not given you a thought when I posted, believe it or not. Not even one thought. I thought your post was the same as all the others already there. Didn't you read the other posts? Virtually EVERYONE cautioned the questioner. All of them, not just you. Your post was just a repeat (with force) of all the others. I was not aiming anything at you. I wasn't trying to lecture, and my reply might have sounded like piling on to Robert. I wasn't think of you, but ME.

If you read my post, you'd see I offered concrete data from a quoted source that indicated the load he was pondering was dangerous. Think about it. You offered the same general warnings all posters did, adding NOTHING.

Critical comments offered would be directed by name, like this:
                  Kody, you offered me advice, so heres some in return - get over yourself. Learn to play nice because not everyone thinks as highly of you as you do.

Did that come thru?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X