Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone hve any suggestion for a young shooter who appears to be left eye dominant using a bolt action rifleL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone hve any suggestion for a young shooter who appears to be left eye dominant using a bolt action rifleL

Does anyone hve any suggestion for a young shooter who appears to be left eye dominant using a bolt action rifleL

You can do it wrong like me--I close my left eye. Or you can switch to shooting left handed--the bolt will be awkward until you get a left handed rifle. I really don't know which solution is better. You should try to decide soon. It will get harder to change the longer shoot one way. I learned to shoot righty when I was young, but nobody taught me about eye dominance until many years later. I tried to learn to shoot off-hand, but it still isn't comfortable. I still shoot righty. I've gotten used to it. It isn't too bad for hunting, but something tells me that I wouldn't have made it as a sniper.

Comment

I am left eye dominant but am right handed.I find it has no impact on my accuracy with a rifle when using my right eye to sight, but with a handgun, I must use my left eye to be accurate and on target. I discovered this during range qualification at Ft. Benning prior to deployment. If you practice, you will be OK.

Comment

My recomendation is to get a left handed rifle if you are able, but if not you can shoot the righty firearm from the left hand. Depending on what you are hunting your eally only need the one shot in most cases and there is usually adequate time for a follow up as long as the shot placement is good. We used to have some lefty rifles at camp and us counselors would shoot them once in a while if we had to fill the line and didn't have a righty at hand. Didn't hinder us at all.

Comment

If you decide to shoot right handed/right eye, you should follow RobertL's advice about handguns. I use my left eye for pistols. If you follow Yoda's recommendation, you'll always be using your dominant eye. Then there's archery. You have the same problem--learn to shoot lefty or sight with your right eye.

Comment

I would echo the comments made above. My recommendation is to shoot according to your dominate eye. I am right handed, but learned at a young age that I was both left eye dominant and I also do not have the ability to close my left eye and aim with my right eye (I can only wink left-handed). Because I started shoting left handed from a young age, it is completely natural to me. As far as shooting a right-handed rifle, it is not ideal, but won't cause any major difficulties (I have left-handed rifles, but also still own and use several right handed rifles). I would just acquire a quality left-handed rifle (there are plenty out there) when possible. A quality rifle should last a lifetime, so get one that fits your needs (i.e.-left handed).

In short, especially because you are young, learn to shoot according to your eye dominance now and don't adjust to fit your rifle. Hopefully you'll hunt and shoot for a lifetime. You want to learn the proper skills now and not adjust to fit a right-handed rifle.

Sorry if this is long, it just hits home though.

Comment

Also, with regards to archery, you don't have the luxury of shooting a right-handed bow left-handed. In that case, if possible, use a left-handed bow. Again, learn the proper skills now when you are young.

I began shooting a right-handed bow as a child (I used an eye patch to compensate and allow me to shoot right-handed). When I picked up archery again as an adult, I purchased a left-handed bow.

Comment

If he is Left Eye dominate, then he should shoot left handed. As for the right handed rifle, he will find a way to master it trust me!

Comment

as clay cooper said i am a righty but left eye dominant. just let him go out and shoot he will master the bolt i can shoot just as fast as any one else can

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    Yesterday, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    Yesterday, 02:17 PM
                  • bedding on new rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                    Yesterday, 12:22 AM
                  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                    by fitch270
                    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                    09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X