Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to rifle hunting and a friend of mine told me that I could bring down an elk with a 30:30. I had mentioned to him that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to rifle hunting and a friend of mine told me that I could bring down an elk with a 30:30. I had mentioned to him that

I am new to rifle hunting and a friend of mine told me that I could bring down an elk with a 30:30. I had mentioned to him that I was gonna get one for deer hunting and was wandering if it is true. that you could in fact bring down an elk with a 30:30.

Your question is more hypothetical. The answer is yes, you can kill an elk with a 30:30. You can "reasonably" kill anything with any caliber. I'm not talking elephant with 17 HMR. In an emergency, a firearm is better than a rock. Would an experienced hunter use a 30:30 for an elk hunt?
    NO. Distance, power, trajectory must be taken into consideration: along with the terrain and weather conditions.

Comment

yes you can easily take down an elk witha 30-30 but only under good circumstances range the shot placement will greatly affect this but with a good shot and the distance being around 100 yards i would not be afraid to shoot an elk

Comment

With the factory 170 grain bullet, the 30-30 would be a borderline cartridge for elk at close range. I would not choose the 30-30 for elk hunting, but if I were hunting deer with a 30-30, and a standing broadside shot at an elk presented itself at 50 yards or so, I would not hesitate to shoot.

Personally, I would prefer a more powerful caliber such as the .270 Win., .280 Rem., or .30/06 for elk hunting. I don't care much for the newer short magnum calibers.

Comment

The 25-06 is the smallest cartridge recommended for Elk and the 30-30 fits in fine!

Comment

Try using the .30/30win Nosler Partions rounds from Federal in 170 Grains at a maximum range of 100 Yards or Less with a well placed first-shot and a follow-up shot(s) when needed(if the first-shot only wounds the Elk try to get in a second or third if possible!) One should be enough. If you miss the Elk entirely, don't attempt any follow-ups'! You may just end up only wounding it with one hit. Always Hit'em the first time broadsided and standing still, Then if needed "follow-ups'". Can't go wrong with that plan!

Comment

yes a dirty 30 will work depending on the range the only thing im sure all of us would ask of you is dont take a long shot at a elk with it because it may only wound it and im sure you dont wanna do that. just a quick question though why would you choose a 30-30 over a 270 or a 30-06? or any other cal? well good luck to you and hope you make the shot count.

Comment

Hit anything in the vitals and it will go down. One guy on hear was talking about using a .270 for caribou. 30-30 could definitly take an Elk but as many others said you have to take all the factors into account, such as placement, wind, range and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty OL NCO View Post
                  The 25-06 is the smallest cartridge recommended for Elk and the 30-30 fits in fine!
                  A big yes. Seen numerous bulls and cows go down with 180 grain lead cast bullets fired from the 30-30. I have been hunting elk for over 30 years and nearly all that time with a .25-06 Practice with your rifle, keep the distance less than 200 yards and that 30-30 will fill your freezer with elk, deer, moose as well as keeping coyotes and bears off your property !

Comment

A big yes. Seen numerous bulls and cows go down with 180 grain lead cast bullets fired from the 30-30. I have been hunting elk for over 30 years and nearly all that time with a .25-06 Practice with your rifle, keep the distance less than 200 yards and that 30-30 will fill your freezer with elk, deer, moose as well as keeping coyotes and bears off your property !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X