TriggerTech installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TriggerTech installed

First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday, I finally broke down and ordered the Independence Day special for the Rem 700 .243 that I’d initially bought for my daughter.

6E1EF57D-E3A1-4402-B1ED-7951963A7939.jpg

I plan on going with a better fit for her but I’ve taken a liking to the rifle so it’s staying. This version of the Primary is a little different than the regular, adjustment weight on the package says 1.5 to 4.0 lbs but the trigger itself says 1-3.5. Must be they use one package for both.

Cont’

Installed it this afternoon. I’ve done a couple Timney’s but want to try this one out based on reviews. The rifle came with an early X-Mark Pro that had been checked at the factory before shipping. Some of those triggers had too much sealer on them causing safety issues. Anyway, I wasn’t overly impressed with it. The pull was noticeably inconsistent and the trigger shoe felt odd to me. Quite wide and smooth. The TT has grooves and is narrower without being thin.

Installation started out well, the X-Mark came out without a fuss. Unfortunately when I went to slip the TT in place it wouldn’t slide into the slot. I have the original Walker that came out of my .270 and sure enough it slipped right in place went I checked. The anodizing was already scuffed on the new trigger so my next step was to breakout the sandpaper and then a flat file. Some careful work had it fitting snug but without hanging up. Before and after of the trigger, notice the shiny lines at the top with it installed.

AEB64B54-AD72-4197-BC20-BC921F73CB40.jpg

8BE14D96-B12F-4539-BC6B-BD19AF64E431.jpg

37273952-4F51-4984-A37C-2A5850E51043.jpg

Cont’

Comment

You have to tweak the bolt release linkage to make sure it sits in place correctly. This didn’t work out so well either. At first the thing would totally get stuck in the released position. After a bunch of futzing I got it to work most of the time. After more futzing I realized it was catching on the screw that goes into the safety lever. (See blue side in the above pic) After messing with that some it free’d up more but is still hanging occasionally. I think the screw needs a little polishing or else the bushing that the screw goes through is a hair short on that side which may be causing a bind. When I hold the release button in the lock position the bolt release itself is perfectly free to move back and forth, it’s definitely in the linkage on the trigger itself. If it doesn’t free up with use I’ll have to address it later. At least when it does stick now it doesn’t take much to pop it free. You just have to pay attention to make sure it re-engages when you put the bolt back in. It also seems to stay put on it’s own.

Cont’

Comment

So the installation was a bit frustrating but not pull your hair out bad. Once I finally had everything back together my first step was to try the safety. Nice firm but free movement back and forth. The next thing was to dry fire it a couple times. I do like it better than the X-Mark Pro. The trigger pull gauge has it at a pretty consistent 3lbs on the nose. I plan to leave it as is unless it drops after it breaks in some.

Cont’

Comment

One other thing I tweaked while I had the rifle apart was to shim the bottom metal out with a couple washers. It’s from Red Hawk Rifles and fit into the aftermarket Boyd’s laminate ok, except the latch seemed to just catch. Turns out it’s just a bit snug. With the washers in place the catch audibly snaps in with less effort. The only difference is now the bottom metal sits just a hair proud at the front action screw. I tried a couple different combinations but one washer at each hole works the best. Just one of those tolerance deals between two aftermarket products.

11054DB0-4E47-4FAB-A49E-DB5F144EC16F.jpg

4572103B-BF49-4B21-807E-6DCE6629E9AC.jpg

Cont’

Comment

Jury is still out on how it compares to the Timney’s in performance but at this point I’m satisfied even with the installation hassles. The Timney’s had no issues other than needing to sand just a hair on the Greyboe stock for safety clearance. The original walnut dropped right in. As to the safety itself I think the TT gets the nod for firmness over the Timney.

I’ll give an update after I burn some ammo

Comment

Keep us informed. Like to see how well the rig performs overall.

Comment

Had to shim a 700 Classic once myself over binding bottom metal. Made the front action screw uncomfortably short in its bite. Worked the wood from top and bottom but never again, just don’t have patience like that anymore. Good to see you do. Now I know where to send guns with issues.🤔😉
                Last edited by dewman; 08-07-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

My Xmark pro was OK. Nothing bad, nothing great.

Until I did the Gre-Tan firing pin and shroud change ( goodbye J lock ). That made it spooky light/touchy.
                  So added some weight back.

Safe and better.

Was one of those where you havent shot it for a year and go to range and go wow thats light. Then after about 10 shots you go thats OK and after 10.more you think..

It could use a better trigger. LOL

For deer its fine. Chucks id like something better.
                  But I have a .22 250 Home for that, so will leave it.
                  The Ruger will get a Canjar swapped in.

What did your TT pull.weight end up at?
                  Last edited by CD2; 08-07-2022, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    My Xmark pro was OK. Nothing bad, nothing great.

Until I did the Gre-Tan firing pin and shroud change ( goodbye J lock ). That made it spooky light/touchy.
                    So added some weight back.

Safe and better.

Was one of those where you havent shot it for a year and go to range and go wow thats light. Then after about 10 shots you go thats OK and after 10.more you think..

It could use a better trigger. LOL

For deer its fine. Chucks id like something better.
                    But I have a .22 250 Home for that, so will leave it.
                    The Ruger will get a Canjar swapped in.

What did your TT pull.weight end up at?
                    My Wheeler spring trigger gauge says it’s breaking right at 3lbs. A couple times it read 2 7/8’s but it’s likely my technique or the gauge is more inconsistent than the trigger. If there’s any creep I can’t tell.

Comment

Good enough Fitch!

I gotta mess w my Savage mkII trigger. Not diggin the Accutrigger. Rifle Basix is 90 bucks. Ouch.

Need a day alone, cool n calm, to swap Canjar set trigger from the Ruger Number 3 to the Number 1.

Refuse to work on stuff if tired or agitated. Work is hot n nasty so I haven't been in the mood to mess with stuff.
                      Havent even shot my recurve yet.

May build a 10/22 sporter and dump my CZ455, or convert it to .22 mag. Heck I dunno.
                      See if my kid likes the 455 may just give it to her.

Shes right eye dominant but has to shoot left due to port in chest. Hopefully they take that out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                        Good enough Fitch!

I gotta mess w my Savage mkII trigger. Not diggin the Accutrigger. Rifle Basix is 90 bucks. Ouch.

Need a day alone, cool n calm, to swap Canjar set trigger from the Ruger Number 3 to the Number 1.

Refuse to work on stuff if tired or agitated. Work is hot n nasty so I haven't been in the mood to mess with stuff.
                        Havent even shot my recurve yet.

May build a 10/22 sporter and dump my CZ455, or convert it to .22 mag. Heck I dunno.
                        See if my kid likes the 455 may just give it to her.

Shes right eye dominant but has to shoot left due to port in chest. Hopefully they take that out soon.
                        How is Shorty? Been wondering how things have been going for y’all.

I’m having the same dilemma with the Ruger American .270. I’m not wild about the bladed trigger but it does the job and I bought the rifle for a cheap backup. I don’t want to start going down a rabbit hole with that one.

We haven’t shot at all either but it’s starting to get nice out in the evenings. County Fair starts over the weekend, typically that’s the week it starts being sweatshirt weather after dark.

Might better keep that CZ close, about time you let it go you’ll finally stumble on a .22 Mag barrel.

Comment

I have a Contender w 14" Ingram bbl in .22 mag. Wears a 4x Leupold EER. If I keep it will proly swap to Aimpoint PRO.

Picked up a NIB old 1022 standard ( birch) this past week. Alum trigger housing. So rabbit hole here I come ( 20" GM sporter bbl and a synth stock of some sort, Volq hammer and done ).

Will wear that Leupold VX1 3-9x that parallax was changed

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget