Anyone considering a pellet rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone considering a pellet rifle?

It's looking like the ammo situation may be with us for awhile. I'd thought about picking up an adult style pellet rifle a few years ago but put the idea on the back burner. Now I'm reconsidering getting a couple of them. Wondering if anyone else has had the same idea or maybe already owns one.

Thoughts?

The ones I looked at a few years back were heavy & unwieldy but I know that's changed now. Not a bad idea in these troubled times. Wonder if there's a shortage on them?

Comment

Yeah fitch, I have been shooting one for 3-4 years now. It is one with barrel break, shoots 177 cal., at 1200 fps and will penetrate a 1/4 in. Plywood at 50 yards. Quiet, great for squirrels or other small game. With scope it will group in 1 1/4 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        Yeah fitch, I have been shooting one for 3-4 years now. It is one with barrel break, shoots 177 cal., at 1200 fps and will penetrate a 1/4 in. Plywood at 50 yards. Quiet, great for squirrels or other small game. With scope it will group in 1 1/4 inches.
        Ok, I'm going to check them out today. I'm convinced it would be good to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Ok, I'm going to check them out today. I'm convinced it would be good to have one.

I have heard good things about Hatsan air rifles, but have no personal experience so take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

BH75R: Forgot to tell you my family in Michigan took 7 deer (2bucks 5does) with recurves this year! All early in season. Uncle G's son took 3 of them.They say he is a natural, figures he's got upper body of a gorilla. Thought that would tickle you. Get home safe and soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

I have heard good things about Hatsan air rifles, but have no personal experience so take that with a grain of salt.
              Any info you hear good or bad I'm interested in. On website reviews, good or bad, only get eye rolls from me. I'm sure for now I'm wanting .177 but I'm not ruling 20/22 caliber out. You can actually hunt deer here in Missouri with the larger caliber ones they make but $$$$$ is gonna shy me away from them.

Comment

As a kid, I had a Benjamin .22 pump up pellet rifle. I terrorized the neighborhood and the local bird population.
                Sadly, kid like, I ended up destroying it, Instructions said pump it 3 to 5 times. Well, if 5 was good 10 was better! Then 15. Then 25. ...until it wouldn't hold any air. No pellet rifle repairman in my neck of the woods in the early 60's! LOL!

A few years back, I won a Ruger "Air Hawk", break barrel .177 as a door prize. It came with a scope that turned out to be a real "jewel"(?)!
                Iron sights or scope, I couldn't get it to hit the side of a barn. Finally sold it at a gun show.

A buddy of mine, actually a cousin, bought a really nice air gun for the express purpose of killing a deer with it.
                He hunted a box blind with a feeder nearby. Finally, a doe picking up corn walked to within about 20 feet of his stand, facing him. When she dropped her head, he delivered one pellet to the brain pan! DOA!
                Then he gave the air gun to his grandson.

Comment

When I worked in a the store in the 70's, we got in some Sheridan "Silver Streak", pump up rifles.
                  Guy bought one saying he was tired of the neighbors German Shepherd turning over his garbage cans!
                  "This ought to burn his a$$!"
                  About a week later, he brought the gun in and wanted to sell it back!
                  He caught the dog in the garbage. Thinking the dog would retreat howling, he was blown away when the dog dropped dead!
                  His statement?
                  "Ever tried to get rid of 80 pounds of dead dog without getting caught?"

Comment

I've got a Beeman dual caliber. Comes with a .177 and a .22 barrel. I've never used the.177 because of preferring the heavier .22 pellets. The factory scope is trash so it was immediately replaced. Killed many squirrels and one raccoon with it.

https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-g...fle-combo.html

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      BH75R: Forgot to tell you my family in Michigan took 7 deer (2bucks 5does) with recurves this year! All early in season. Uncle G's son took 3 of them.They say he is a natural, figures he's got upper body of a gorilla. Thought that would tickle you. Get home safe and soon.
                      That’s very good to hear dewman, not only their success, but the fact they are shooting traditional equipment ! Not many still going the ‘antique’ way anymore. It is a very simple way to hunt, nothing complex to worry about, and no mechanics to keep fixing. They must be in a really good deer area, but they must also be very good hunters, congrats to them !!

We are on complete lockdown here in Germany. It looks as though until the latter part of Feb. Our virus shots are just getting underway, numbers keep climbing ! I see on the internet that shots are just now starting in Michigan also, will your family there be taking them ?

Comment

BH75R: I believe they will get the shots when available. Yes they hunt on good ground. They own it. Between my 2 uncles and their boys they total about 135 huntable acres. Tons of deer, seldom anything of note. Every couple years someone gets a "nice" one. Never close to B&C or P&Y. Stay safe, get home soon.

Comment

Hatsan is a Turkish company from what I’ve found online. Biggest issue with them appears to be customer service can be lacking. Like Dewman mentioned about reviews, I take them with a grain of salt.

There are a couple options from RWS and Diana that have my attention. It’s hard to tell where a good middle ground is with these things. Lots of entry level choices that are probably luck of the draw vs high end stuff that’s out of my league. What I’m seeing in the $250-$300 range doesn’t come with a scope so add another $100 minimum. Now multiply that by at least 2.

This is probably why I gave up on looking earlier. I bought our CZ’s for not much more and I doubt the mid tier down options will hold their value. Trick will be weighing the chance of buyer’s remorse vs having something to shoot on a regular basis.

Going keep looking into them.

Comment

Walmart had stingers in stock tonight. I bought 4 boxes just because. I'll trade them for some my .22's like. IMG_2248.JPG

Comment

Won't go over $200 on a pellet gun. .177 is fine for my needs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                                by dewman
                                All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                                03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                              • Ammunition vs. components.
                                by Red Angus
                                Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                                03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                              • Deer population
                                by Red Angus
                                Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                                03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                              • Nice find poochie!
                                by FirstBubba
                                The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                                THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                                02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                              • 6.8 Western
                                by jhjimbo
                                Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                                02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X