X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    started a topic Gun Review - Ruger American Rimfire Compact

Gun Review - Ruger American Rimfire Compact

Yesterday, I finally made time to go to the range to sight in my new Ruger American Rimfire Compact in .22lr with the Dead Air 'Mask' suppressor. I've had the rifle since the last week of December but haven't spent any time with it until now. Deer season ends tomorrow but the next four weeks is the remaining portion of small game season. The new hunting lease was a disappointment as far as deer but it is a wonderful habitat for squirrels.

The Ruger American Rimfire is a bolt action that utilizes the same magazines as the popular Ruger 10/22. The rifle comes with a 10-round for a flush fit, but you could use extended higher capacity mags if you desire. The synthetic stock comes with different comb heights to use depending on if you use a scope of the adjustable iron sights. The compact version has a shorter length of pull and shorter, threaded barrel. I wanted both because it will be better for training the great grandkids how to shoot and keeps the overall length reasonable when the 6-inch suppressor is attached.

I purchased the rifle by ordering online through Academy Sports. The process was simple and the rifle arrived at my local store in less than a week. Shipping was free but of course I had to pay retail sales tax. However, there was no FFL fee so this was much less expensive than ordering from Gun Broker and having it shipped to my gunsmith (he charges a $25 fee and I would have had to pay shipping).

Initially, I set up a target at 25 yards to sight in the iron sights before mounting the scope. The point of impact was too low and to the left. To my disappointment, I'd left my tools at home and didn't have a good way to drift the rear sight in it's dovetail. So, I decided to leave it alone and mounted the scope. I chose the rather inexpensive Simmons .22Mag scope 3x9x32. I've had good luck in the past with Simmons scopes on rimfires and air rifles so thought I'd try it on this one. The rifle's receiver is machined to take rimfire rings but is also drilled and tapped for adding a scope base. I just used the rings that came with the scope, mounting them directly on the receiver

Below is a picture of the subsonic ammo I used. I wanted to sight in using subsonic in order to take full advantage of the suppressor. There was no noticeable first round pop with the Mask and it was surprisingly quiet. The report may even be quieter than that of my Beeman air rifle! I was shooting off sandbags from a bench and am pleasantly pleased with the great factory trigger and the smooth, short bolt throw. The tang safety is another thing I like. However, it can not be placed back into 'safe' until the spent case is ejected.

Moving the target out to 50 yards, I was getting about 1-inch groups with the CCI sub-sonic which is pretty good. But the ELEY sub-sonic produced groups varying from 5/8 to 3/4-inch. So, I'll be hunting with the ELEY. The CCI Quiet was a total disappointment. Though noticeably quieter, the group size exploded to 4.5 inches. I'm wondering if perhaps it was unstable and hope it wasn't striking the internal baffles of the suppressor. Through the scope, I could even see the bullets going downrange, they were so slow!

As a test, I finished the day with a few rounds of CCI Mini-Mag hollow-points. Those are what I use in my Winchester 74 to good effect on squirrels. The accuracy was about 1-inch for 10 shots at 50 yards. But of course there was the sonic crack even though the suppressor kept the muzzle blast well below hearing safe.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Ruger American Rimfire and highly recommend it. It's especially a good option if you want to use a suppressor and already have 10/22 mags.

2018_02_08 Tested Ammo r - Copy.jpg
    Attached Files

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    Well, since I am not into balistics and serious gun matters, I will be looking for reviews on how to make better popcorn, or how to keep my hair from getting all screwed up from the pillow every night, or even how to keep my ice fishing hole from freezing back over between days when away from the lake. You know, such important things that cause us much consternation in our rigorous lives........!
    Ah, the research required to get better popcorn would be fun. Have you ever just dropped by a movie theater for the popcorn to take home?

My solution to the hair issue is electric clippers with a No. 3 attachment. Apply to your head every 4 weeks and that bed head goes away.

Can't help with the ice hole. It never gets that cold in Alabama.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Well, since I am not into balistics and serious gun matters, I will be looking for reviews on how to make better popcorn, or how to keep my hair from getting all screwed up from the pillow every night, or even how to keep my ice fishing hole from freezing back over between days when away from the lake. You know, such important things that cause us much consternation in our rigorous lives........!
    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-11-2019, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    A very thorough review, thank you for posting PigHunter.
    Thanks! The feedback is appreciated. I'll try to do more like this.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    A very thorough review, thank you for posting PigHunter.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    This is what I look for when I come to answers. Questions that make me think and answers/statements that educate. Post a pic or two of your rig. I would like to see an overall look. Would +1 were it allowed PH. Might I add a suggestion I've seen on other rimfire blogs. When describing 22 ammo, add fps velocity behind each type. For instance ---- thunderbolts(1255). Aids understanding with those brands and styles the reader may not be familiar with. I see Aguilla makes a 60 grain subsonic. Wonder how those would do? If the youth stock is too short for you, you can always buy a slip on limbsaver pad to add length.(recoil not a factor here of course). Our small game goes out Feb 15th, quite frankly I could use a break. Nice post. Think about reposting it on F&S. Starting to look like a CNN thread over there. Kidding F&S posters, just kidding. I know how to scroll.
    Well said sir. 👍

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Can’t find a argument with anything you said Dewman !

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    I know what you are saying Dewman. I wish I could be more supportive of F&S, but my knowledge of guns and balistics is more than limited. I have bowhunted for all my game for over 40 years and my knowledge is in that field. I respect you and some others for all the information that is posted concerning firearms, it sounds very interesting but is beyond me with the exception of plinking with the Ruger 10/22 that I have for woodchuckes. I am very pro gun oriented and take great interest in gun rights issues and that is why I become active in political matters on F&S as those are the matters that are going to affect all of our gun rights. We dare not take the antis as nothing to worry about, they are a dangerous group ! Thanks for the info on the American rimfire 22.
    Just to be clear, I DO consider all political posts pertaining in some way to the 2a to be hunting-shooting related. Was referring to postings of a general political nature. Also want to be clear I believe anyone can post anything in their heart as I know how to scroll. I just think when someone new checks in they aren't looking to weigh in on current political madness. It also seems that those postings are where civility usually ends and the insults fly. I mean seriously, do any of us really know each other well enough to hurl personal insults. I don't.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    That is a VERY nice rig. I often use velocity to find my 22 sweet spot. If for instance the gun shoots a brand well and I find it's velocity is say 1040fps then I often find other brands at that velocity regardless of manufacturer to group better than the original brand at different velocity. I find it a fast track to a guns favorite ammo. As always just my 2cents and other opinions may vary. Again, that is a sweet rig. Did you happen to try your mk3 22/45 also? Remember, pics always appreciated.
    Good tips on finding loads. It looks like my rifle likes the 1040 fps ammo.

I didn't shoot the mk3 yesterday, mainly because of time. The suppressor is of course very fun with that handgun. Testing in the back yard reveals that the CCI Quiet doesn't have enough recoil for the action to cycle.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Nice looking setup PigHunter ! May I ask the price of the rifle alone, without scope and suppressor ? I would like to compare it with a gun shop in this area, thanks in advance !
    Thank Richard. It was about $326 after taxes and handling.

20190209_231913.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    I know what you are saying Dewman. I wish I could be more supportive of F&S, but my knowledge of guns and balistics is more than limited. I have bowhunted for all my game for over 40 years and my knowledge is in that field. I respect you and some others for all the information that is posted concerning firearms, it sounds very interesting but is beyond me with the exception of plinking with the Ruger 10/22 that I have for woodchuckes. I am very pro gun oriented and take great interest in gun rights issues and that is why I become active in political matters on F&S as those are the matters that are going to affect all of our gun rights. We dare not take the antis as nothing to worry about, they are a dangerous group ! Thanks for the info on the American rimfire 22.
    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-09-2019, 11:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    I still may not post this review on F&S. This site is almost dead but at least it doesn't have all the political bickering.
    F&S could use a little hunting-fishing-shooting infusion. Pretty sure it's why newbies drop in. Bet they get confused about where they're at sometimes.😉

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Nice looking setup PigHunter ! May I ask the price of the rifle alone, without scope and suppressor ? I would like to compare it with a gun shop in this area, thanks in advance !
    Here in southeast Missouri they go for $270 at academy sports. 60 degree bolt, 3-5 lb adjustable trigger, 2 stock modules. These are quality guns.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    That is a VERY nice rig. I often use velocity to find my 22 sweet spot. If for instance the gun shoots a brand well and I find it's velocity is say 1040fps then I often find other brands at that velocity regardless of manufacturer to group better than the original brand at different velocity. I find it a fast track to a guns favorite ammo. As always just my 2cents and other opinions may vary. Again, that is a sweet rig. Did you happen to try your mk3 22/45 also? Remember, pics always appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget