Do you have flip ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have flip ?

On the blog page in OL is an ad for the Springfield 10mm being fired. Check out the muzzel flip on that bad boy.

Jimbo, I missed that ad. The worst one I have for flip is a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. It rolls significantly with heavy loads. But of course that helps to place the hammer close to the thumb for easy cocking when shooting one-handed.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Jimbo, I missed that ad. The worst one I have for flip is a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. It rolls significantly with heavy loads. But of course that helps to place the hammer close to the thumb for easy cocking when shooting one-handed.
      Tyler Freel of OL blog uses a Glock in 10mm. He did a article how he and buddies customize the Glock grips. The big 10 is their bear back up. He guides for a service in AK. You should see the size of the bear he got 2 or 3 years ago.

Comment

I'll check it out, thanks. My extra money is going toward suppressors and AR's this year, so a 10mm has fallen off the list.

Comment

Jimbo, am embarrassed to ask but what is a flip? Be gentle, I am an ancient, senile old hunter. Who has probably been around the horn too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            Jimbo, am embarrassed to ask but what is a flip? Be gentle, I am an ancient, senile old hunter. Who has probably been around the horn too many times.
            The interchangeable terms muzzle rise, muzzle flip and muzzle climb refer to the tendency of firearms or airguns' front end (muzzle end of the barrel) to rise up after firing...
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_rise

Comment

From Wikipedia - here's a illustrated description of why there is muzzle flip. It's simply an imbalance of forces causing a rotation upward.
              Attached Files

Comment

Muzzle flip is also present in Females who have a weak wrist, even with mild recoil handguns. The FBI abandoned the 10mm because the Female agents could not handle it.
                This is the reason I bought the new Remington R-51(after they worked the bugs out of the first generation) with the Pederson, delayed blow back action. This action allowed the axis of the barrel to be very low to the hand, coupled with the angle of the grip the pistol had very little muzzle flip. Recoil is almost straight back. Very fast 'on target' second shot possibility. Remington advertised it as almost pointing itself. I have the original 51 as seen in the attached in .380. Purchased in 1965 for $35 and I got 12 cartridges with it, it is now worth north of $700. Mine was made in about 1924 and is in 98% condition. I wanted the new one in 9mm which is also +P capable and I will be carrying it in my back pocket this summer as it has all rounded edges.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_51

Comment

Here is my original Remington 51, next to my new Remington R-51.

My original 51 is about 95 years old.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have had several Rugers like yours and I can not shoot them with factory grips. With custom grips they are tack drivers. I will see if I can get a pic of my .357mag.

Comment

Ruger .357mag
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much. So well written even I understand. PigHunter, thank you too! It is always pleasing to learn new things. I have hunted most of the worlds big game in adventerous places with lots of excitement. Since getting out of the service have not had much interest in handguns or owning military type weapons. Nothing against them. I am well protected here at my home of fifty years by firearms, alarms, motion sensors, an electric gate, high guard fence, and several loving dogs. But at my age I do not even buy green bananas. Kindest Regards to you both

Comment

From Wikipedia - here's a illustrated description of why there is muzzle flip. It's simply an imbalance of forces causing a rotation upward.
                          Thank you, see below under Jimbo

Comment

Excuse me, under Happy Myles!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Ruger .357mag
                              That's an interesting grip shape. I may check that out for my revolver.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget