Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet guns are becoming all the rage nowadays, whats a good one that doesn't need all the co2 and will still make a 50 yard shot on a squirrel, I use a crappy pump pellet gun and kill around 30 chipmunks in my front yard every year with it, but it c

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet guns are becoming all the rage nowadays, whats a good one that doesn't need all the co2 and will still make a 50 yard shot on a squirrel, I use a crappy pump pellet gun and kill around 30 chipmunks in my front yard every year with it, but it c

Pellet guns are becoming all the rage nowadays, whats a good one that doesn't need all the co2 and will still make a 50 yard shot on a squirrel, I use a crappy pump pellet gun and kill around 30 chipmunks in my front yard every year with it, but it can't shoot very far and is a pain to load.

I do a lot of hunting and pest control with a pair of PCP's; a .22 Benjamin Marauder and a .25 Hatsan. PCP's are the best type of air rifle technology out there when it comes to accuracy, power and shootability, but they're not for everybody because you need some way to fill them regularly. Either a hand pump or convenient access to a scuba shop to fill a portable air tank. I would still recommend them very highly if you're serious. If you decide a PCP isn't the way you want to go, I would go with a good spring or gas piston. The best ones should give you squirrel-killing power and accuracy out to at least 40 yards, if you do your part. I will warn you that gas or especially spring piston guns are notoriously hard to shoot accurately from a rest though. That's why I don't use them myself. There are no pump pellet guns out there that would allow you to ethically hunt squirrels beyond maybe 30 yards. They're just not powerful or accurate enough.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
      I do a lot of hunting and pest control with a pair of PCP's; a .22 Benjamin Marauder and a .25 Hatsan. PCP's are the best type of air rifle technology out there when it comes to accuracy, power and shootability, but they're not for everybody because you need some way to fill them regularly. Either a hand pump or convenient access to a scuba shop to fill a portable air tank. I would still recommend them very highly if you're serious. If you decide a PCP isn't the way you want to go, I would go with a good spring or gas piston. The best ones should give you squirrel-killing power and accuracy out to at least 40 yards, if you do your part. I will warn you that gas or especially spring piston guns are notoriously hard to shoot accurately from a rest though. That's why I don't use them myself. There are no pump pellet guns out there that would allow you to ethically hunt squirrels beyond maybe 30 yards. They're just not powerful or accurate enough.
      "There are no pump pellet guns out there that would allow you to ethically hunt squirrels beyond maybe 30 yards. They're just not powerful or accurate enough." I agree they aren't powerful enough necessarily, but I can shoot a baseball at 30 yards with a red ryder, I'd think a pellet gun is better, mine is total cheap crud. I don't want a co2 gun because I hunt a lot in the yard, but often don't even end up shooting at one, then you used a lot of co2 for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        You gotta remember, head shots are best when squirrel hunting, especially with airguns. You have maybe a 1" diameter target when aiming at the head, and I haven't personally shot any pump-up pellet guns that are capable of that kind of accuracy beyond about 30 yards. If you find one let me know, because I want to buy it! I agree that co2 is junk for anything but plinking, which is why I like PCPs. They are the best of both worlds - cheap to shoot (once you have the initial cost of a pump or refillable air tank past), and more convenient than pump-up guns.

Comment

I just have a Remington .22 and agree a 30yd shot is about max on a squirrel.

Comment

Hi...

You might want to consider a .22...using either shorts, or a sub-sonic .22 round...!!

Also, when does your chipmunk season start...??

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
              Hi...

You might want to consider a .22...using either shorts, or a sub-sonic .22 round...!!

I didn't know there was a season, I hunt them because they're causing damage to my land, too many holes and chewed up bird feeders. T think you can hunt pests year round in MI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                Hi...

Where do you find 22 rounds, I rarely see them and for those prices it ain't worth buyin them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget