Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the reasoning behind my Ruger LCR .357mag not ejecting brass properly? Upon shooting up to ten shots in a row; on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the reasoning behind my Ruger LCR .357mag not ejecting brass properly? Upon shooting up to ten shots in a row; on

What would be the reasoning behind my Ruger LCR .357mag not ejecting brass properly? Upon shooting up to ten shots in a row; on the second crisis reload, the plunger will not eject the brass unless it is heeled hard with my palm. I understand that if I was shooting .38s through it first, that a carbon ring from the shorter brass may cause a build-up, but this is not the point here. Also the gun was very well cleaned and the cylinder spotless. Ammunition used was Federal, as well as Hornady .357s. I will probably contact Ruger in regards to a possible fault in the finish of my cylinder, but I wondered what you all thought it could be. Thanks.

Repeat the firing scenario and see if it happens again. If it does, mark the chamber that is hanging up. Then run the test again and see if it is the same chamber. That could narrow things down and offer some clues as to why.

Comment

I haven't actually held one of the LCRs yet. JHPs advice seems good to me, but I wonder, if the cylinders seem clean, but the revolver still seems to function properly after a fresh cleaning, is there fouling that's managing to get into and interfere with the plunger? I have a Taurus 605 that after about 4 reloads will start to do the same thing, but it does tend to build up some fouling in the cylinder's themselves. One thing you pointed out that hadn't occurred to me is that I almost always use Federal ammo in it, and it seems that there's some fairly gritty powder residue left behind.

Comment

I have a 38 SPC LCR and one thing I know is that the ejector rod is not long enough to completely eject the cartridges without a sharp slap. You will find that with many snub nosed revolvers. My guess is that after a couple reloads you get a little fouling that can hold up the empties from completely ejecting.

Comment

You may have a build up In the cylinder from .38 special ammo, it can make the longer brass harder too remove.

Comment

Are you removing all the oil from your chamber prior to firing? That's the one place you want to leave dry.

Comment

@Larry Praag: .38spl were never fired from the gun so I ruled that out, but thanks for the reply.

@land cruiser: It's a possibility that some oil could have been in the cylinders, but not sure why that would cause, when the cylinder heats up from sequential shots, for them to stick. I'd assume that would keep them freely moving instead.

Update on the issue: I received my LCR back from Ruger, who replaced the entire cylinder and ejector rod assembly. It appears that I now have a different metal all-together of cylinder, that is now blued instead of matte grey. Ruger states they took it to the range and fired 30 sequential rounds through it, and there wasn't any problems. They also replaced my front pin on the sight as well. I will let you know when I find out after firing it myself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                by 99explorer
                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                Now the twins are adults...
                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
              • Sisters.
                by 99explorer
                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                How...
                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
              • Rice for sale.
                by 99explorer
                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                He soon becomes...
                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
              • Strangers meet.
                by 99explorer
                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                No identification markers...
                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
              • OU football
                by FirstBubba
                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X