Beater .44 mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beater .44 mag

My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited it when he passed. The lube he used had shellacked so I tore it all apart and cleaned it, put orig parts back in ( safety conversion uses thin spur hammer- yuck ).

The ej rod housing was well worn and loose. Borchart Rifle Company makes steel ones for studded and non studded bbls. This one studded.

Cylinder seemed a bit too sloppy so got a Powers base pin. Its 1.5 thousandths larger OD than factory.
    It helped.

The original squashed eagle.grips had shrank, dark in color and amber like, they looked battered but good on the old rig. Too loose w shrinkage. I found some new in package squashed eagle grips but the lighter color just looked like crap.

So got a set of new model black laminates.

May swap emblems w the shrunken pair. Had to work a bit to fit the new grips.

Looks way better.

IMG_20220813_205829115~3.jpg
    Attached Files

I like the look with the black laminates. Forgive my ignorance, Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk?

Just noticed the Renaissance Wax, good stuff. Another DEP inspired purchase. A little goes a long way, I probably won’t finish the jar.
    Last edited by fitch270; 08-15-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Forget the serial number, is either a 70 or 72 three screw Superblackhawk w brass frame.

​​​​​​Dunno how many brass frames Ruger made.

Family gun so aint going anywhere. Dont shoot much .44 mag since my deer spot doesnt really let me have the options to play w handguns.

Where i hunt now its hard to even get a chance at a buck, let alone a shooter.

But if some farmer wants does shot elsewhere it will come along. Or if I lose my private ground its legal for buck on state land.

Comment

My first handgun deer was a doe shot w a different 3 screw .44 mag.

😁

Comment

My first centerfire pistol was a two screw (pins, actually) SBH in 44 mag. I got to be pretty deadly with it, since it was my only.

It cost 260 new. I can't believe how much of my student loan checks was wasted, yet not wasted, on pistols back then. Still have nearly all of what I bought though.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            I like the look with the black laminates. Forgive my ignorance, Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk?

Just noticed the Renaissance Wax, good stuff. Another DEP inspired purchase. A little goes a long way, I probably won’t finish the jar.
            Maybe this will help a tad.
            Where Ruger is concerned, "Black-" means blued. "Red-" means stainless.

Much like a "6-" in a S&W model number denotes "stainless". (i.e. M66, M686, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Maybe this will help a tad.
              Where Ruger is concerned, "Black-" means blued. "Red-" means stainless.

Much like a "6-" in a S&W model number denotes "stainless". (i.e. M66, M686, etc)
              I thought “black” & “red” was Ruger code for single or double action?
              E’s stainless 44 says Blackhawk
              Last edited by dewman; 08-16-2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

I thought “black” & “red” was Ruger code for single or double action?
                E’s stainless 44 says Blackhawk
                Yep, had to look up which was which. Also didn’t know the difference between the RedHawk and Super RedHawk.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_...wk_redhawk.htm

Comment

Yeah, my buddy has a blued Redhawk .44 w scope attach to bbl.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget