Range report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report

We finally have a weekend with absolutely nothing on the agenda. Probably the only one this summer. Vegged out first thing this morning then loaded up the buggy to do some shooting on the hill.

Mentioned earlier that I’m trying out the Dyna Bore Coat stuff that John Barsness recommends. Once applied and dried you have to fire 8-10 shots to cure the ceramic coating to the bore. Today’s goal was to sight in a couple rifles and to check zero on another while doing the cure process. Bonus was to get more chrono data and test a few handloads.

Cont’

First up was the Kid’s Rem 788 in .222. The gentleman who gave him the rifle also included about a dozen boxes of handloads for it. Mostly one pet load but also a few boxes of test loads and a couple other options. I decided to save the main loading and avoided most of the test stuff. Idea being to use something consistent but expendable. Turns out I may have to get these components.

I lined up through the bore at 100 yards then adjusted the brand new scope to center the crosshairs on the bull. First shot was pretty much center and 11” low. Had him dial in 20 clicks up and the next shot just about split the difference as it should have. Another 24 clicks up had him dialed in. We stopped with that rifle to let it cool, then after switching targets had him shoot another 5 shot group. The first set of shots was with one loading, the following was with the same set of components but with 2 grains more powder.

This was the result.

474A1B83-C004-4619-9C99-67D4F8C106C5.jpg

That’s five. Not surprising the point of impact changed but still a nice group.

We quit there because the rifle needs to be cleaned. Word is the first couple cleanings will take a bit of scrubbing to get the residue from the curing process out but after that copper fouling should be lessened. The curing process also can affect those groups a little bit so it’s possible we’ll see even better results later. I told the Kid we’ll dial in for the main loads he has but use the others for practice and not worry about POI.

Comment

Next up was my Rem 788 in .22-250.

I wasn’t quite as lucky getting this one on paper at first. This scope had been on my CZ 455 a few years back and it ended up shooting way high and right on this rifle. After three shots off the paper I finally figured out where it was at and the adjustments went as expected. I decided to use three handloads that were book minimum and had decent results. I then fired a three shot group with the cheap Herters loads I’d picked up at a Cabela’s a few years ago.

So much for cheap ammo being junk.

C7995FA9-C32D-43AD-8CDF-4336C2058798.jpg

After that I set up the chrono which I’d neglected right off the bat. Then I ran another 3 handloads that were a half grain hotter. Speeds were about 100 feet/sec under book at a bit over 3400. Book max is over 3800 for the components so I have a way to go yet. I have loads worked up already but again quit to clean the rifle before proceeding further. Not as nice a group as the Herters but still promising.

1357E782-B931-4F54-B52F-0EEA4BE4D742.jpg

Comment

Last rifle was the Rem 700 in .243 my daughter used last year. After last fall’s disappointing outcome I was a little worried that there was going to be something wrong that I should have checked then. I hate when equipment gets blamed when something goes wrong and was convinced it wasn’t the gun even though I didn’t follow up on it as I really should have. Turns out my gut was right. This is the first six shots, including the clean bore first shot. After taking the pic I fired three more to finish the curing process and all three landed right in with the rest. I’m sure the other slightly high one in this group was me. This gun shoots very consistently. Load was factory Federal Non Typical, basically Federal Blue Box stuff.

I need to pick up where I left off on load development for this rifle and try a couple other options I have as well.

This is six holes, not five. That’s two in the Diamond tip.

9135BFED-72BE-4000-9894-F6A67F5869A9.jpg

Comment

Good shooting. New scopes or just swapping around? Heat here has run me underground like a woodchuck. Lots of running to do before the fun as well but it’s good to see others getting trigger time.

Comment

The 700 was untouched from last year, my 788 was a swap out and the Kid’s 788 now wears the brand new Burris Full Field E1 4.5-14x42 we bought him for Christmas. That Burris is a discontinued model with the full Ballistic crosshairs and a separate power ring the doesn’t rotate the entire ocular.

Pic of him today I forgot to post. Forgive the lack of shooting glasses, he had them on at first but was having glare issues and took them off. I told him not to get in that habit.

59591D80-BAF6-4A48-B48D-D20591445FB7.jpg

Comment

9C0237AE-9681-442C-9D5C-3B9B0CF50C26.jpg FD24BAE5-4AE3-4064-8D1D-E2B2EED6EAAE.jpg
              Originally posted by fitch270; PBn69801
              The 700 was untouched from last year, my 788 was a swap out and the Kid’s 788 now wears the brand new Burris Full Field E1 4.5-14x42 we bought him for Christmas. That Burris is a discontinued model with the full Ballistic crosshairs and a separate power ring the doesn’t rotate the entire ocular.

Pic of him today I forgot to post. Forgive the lack of shooting glasses, he had them on at first but was having glare issues and took them off. I told him not to get in that habit.

59591D80-BAF6-4A48-B48D-D20591445FB7.jpg
              Does your Burris look like this one.(predator quest version) I have a Anti Reflective Devise for mine I’ve never used it it fits? Of course no charge. Also my crosshairs are tiny (E1?) yours?

Comment

That Burris is a good one. Wish they still made it.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  9C0237AE-9681-442C-9D5C-3B9B0CF50C26.jpg FD24BAE5-4AE3-4064-8D1D-E2B2EED6EAAE.jpg
                  Does your Burris look like this one.(predator quest version) I have a Anti Reflective Devise for mine I’ve never used it it fits? Of course no charge. Also my crosshairs are tiny (E1?) yours?

It’s close.

20B145F6-F680-489D-BB20-8A8FBBEB92B3.jpg

Power ring looks a little different but otherwise they could be the same. The glare he was getting was from his shooting glasses. I was having similar but was wearing my bifocals so I could see to make the right adjustments. We were in shade, shooing across the open back into the woods. It’s not ideal but can be realistic for hunting conditions.

This is the ballistic reticle, the scope has the E1 designation but not the floating E1 reticle. That and the power ring was why I chose it. Somebody on the ‘Fire had posted a link to a close out sale on them. Was a legit site.

7758E473-30CB-4ED2-B469-666F3F395DBE.jpg

Here’s a shot of the turret. Completely tool less and it seemed to adjust as it should. There is however a tiny amount of free play (slop) in the knob. Feels like it’s in the piece you hold onto not the internals.

67C49E4B-7367-47BF-B324-389237F35149.jpg

Mounted with an EGW rail and Leupold Rifleman rings, same as my 788.

Comment

Except for my 700 mtn, all my rifles wear either Leupold rifleman bases/rings or Talley lightweights. Very satisfied with them though I will freely admit there are tougher setups out there. (Like EGW). The floating crosshair was something I never quite got used to. Keep taking it off and replacing it and now after sending it in and having it fixed I don't plan to use it.

Comment

Follow up.

I’ve decided my range routine needs an overhaul if (when!) I get more serious into it. Our usual habit consists of tossing stuff into a Cabela’s duffle I’ve had for close to 30 years, casing the guns and heading up in the SxS. I should get a decent range box set up with specific compartments to keep stuff organized and so I don’t forget anything. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to adjust an older scope with the buggy key because I didn’t bring a coin or bud enough screwdriver.

The bench is holding up well, made from treated 4x4’s and 2x6’s with treated plywood for the top. It could use a good coat of stain along with the shack. A few years back I had a target holder set up but apparently the neighbors got in the habit of using it. Someone left sticky backed Shoot-N-See targets stuck to it at one point. Wasn’t a big deal really, just struck me as rude they didn’t ask. Not to mention possibly unsafe if someone was up there. Anyway, I need to set up a good target stand again. Propping up a cardboard box just isn’t cutting it, it’s a pain trying to get it squared up and held down. Plus it’s too low to the ground. I should also make it big enough to hold several targets to reduce trips back and forth.

One piece of gear I’ve been neglecting due to being a recovering tightwad is a GOOD tripod. Having one that shakes, tips and won’t stay set is almost as useless as trying to hold a spotter offhand. Maybe two, the one that came with the chronograph is barely adequate. I don’t need sheep hunt level quality but something better than you’d find at Walmart would be nice.

Thing is I’m blessed to be able to shoot at my house but I’d likely shoot more if I had a more organized set up.

Curious if any of you guys have something you’d do different with your routine.

Comment

I have a big tote full of stuff: Spray paint, rests, bags,chronograph, etc that I keep near the truck in the garage so I can just throw it in the bed and go. My range is about a 7 minute drive from my house. I usually scrounge targets from the trash, and I keep a roll of shoot-n-see bullseyes that I paste over the targets. Muffs, plugs, glasses and ammo I keep in a range bag. My shooting sticks I keep by the deep freeze so they are easy remember to forget at home. Bug spray is always kept in the truck, otherwise I'd forget that too. I really hate shooting off the bench, and I keep my rifles sighted in and the ammo across rifles stays the same. No pet loads for me. I do all my pew-pewing from sitting, prone or standing. Or off the sticks, if i remember them. 2-3 in the magazine, shoot them in strings working the bolt as in hunting scenarios.
                        Last edited by Amflyer; 07-18-2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Amflyer; I should shoot the centerfires from field positions more often but the .22 league we do provides a good amount of offhand practice. Any type of support or even sitting seems “easy” in comparison. Decent groups off a bench do help develop confidence in the equipment however.

Unfortunately we’re limited to just 100 yards here at home. It would be nice to stretch it out to 300 or so and try it without a bench.

Comment

My range box is a portable tool box. The empty compartments are for the ammo. I'm good with my range routine. IMG_2890.jpg IMG_2888.jpg I have a wide variety of targets I use depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Comment

My Renegade is small. Normally carry my hunting clothes during deer season, in a plastic tub.

Got a smaller one as a shooting box. Sandbags, ammo, ear pro and targets fit in it OK. Run a cargo net to keep it down on mat so it doesnt scratch up hatch or sides to and from the range.

Is 45 min drive one way. Sucks.
                              Only 100 yards max too.

Can go same distance other direction and pay at a shop w a range.....goes past 500.

I prefer to be alone on the range. Safer.
                              Last edited by CD2; 07-28-2022, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                Today, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X